White Milky Thin Discharge from the Stoma Site

Replies
Views
hatlady

I get this white milky discharge that comes straight from the stoma itself. It's like a pinpoint area on the stoma, in several areas. My stoma protrudes about one half inch out and the milky substance gathers around the base of the stoma and ends up pretty thick by the end of the week or when I need to change. No odor, no itching. Has anyone else had this?

Bill

Hello hatlady.

This sounds like it is 'mucus' that the lining of the gut produces naturally to help the smooth flow of faeces.

I get it in abundance both from the stoma and from the anal stump that was left behind after the operation.

It's interesting how it tends to coagulate after it's been in the open a while. I think it forms a protective barrier that stops other things from irritating the stoma and surrounding area. but that's just an opinion.

I believe you have absolutely nothing to be concerned about. However, with all these things, if you are worries about it thenseek advice from an ostomy nurse who will be able to professionally reassure you.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Newstom

I read Bill's post with regard to mucus coming out and around the stoma. Then he said there's mucus from the anal stump left behind. I had a colostomy that's supposed to be reversed someday. My anus is dormant, but I do get mucus discharge from there occasionally. Is that normal? Do you have the same situation and just refer to it as the anal stump? It is inconvenient because I have to wear a long thin pad so as not to leak in my underwear from the back if there is a little too much mucus.

Anyone have feedback on that? Hope you all are healing! Seasons Greetings!

Bill

Hello Newstom.

The mucus discharge is quite normal. If it was not being produced, then the tube would get dry and sore.

Mine ranges from nothing some days to an enormous amount other days.

I wear incontinence pads bt have found that the mucus does not absorb very quickly into them. In order to rectify this, I fold up a bit of tissueand put that along the opening first. This absorbs the mucus quickly and then it is more slowly absorbed by the pads.

THis topic was discussed several times in the past and can be found in the CONTENT --'collections' on the right of the page. Look under 'stoma problems'.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

Bill