Swimming with an Ileostomy: Advice needed!

Replies
Views
Runner3

Any competitive swimmers out there? I just started a swim class to build endurance and ability to compete in triathlons. I have had my osteomyelitis for 28 years and just got back in the pool in 2016. Big step for me. Any advice? My biggest scare is changing in a locker room. Not quite ready to bear it all.

I do trail races (2 marathons) with no issues but the swimming scares me.

Mrs.A

Hi Runner,

Congrats on getting back in the water and your goals. I'm not a swimmer but I wanted to say hello and wish you the best of luck with your goal!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Runner3.

Just the thought of trying to do a marathon or triathlon would scare me! 

As for the changing room. Think back to long before the ostomy, when you first went into a changing room. If you are anything like the rest of us, I feel sure that you will recall the anxiety of changing for the first time in a public place. With practice, we overcome our fears and just concentrate on the ultimate goals and reasons for having to change. It's called 'adjustment' and I feel sure that you will adjust with flying colours.

Best wishes

Bill 

Ewesful

I cannot do what you do in the water but I love swimming and I just go about the changing room like it is as normal as apple pie. If you are not self-conscious then no one else will be; you set the tone by your actions and confidence. The other part is if anyone is curious and you are not in a hurry, let them see and understand what an ostomy is. You will be doing the person and yourself a favor - knowledge is power!

May you have many happy competitions/races/events and all the more power to you!!!

moonshine

I found that swimming means changing the bag every 2-3 days - the chlorine breaks the seal much quicker.....if you feel uncomfortable change in the stall......

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ewesful

I totally agree -- but it is worth the change to enjoy the exercise -- I ocean and lake swim with mine with no problems.

GypsyGirl

What appliance(s) are you using to allow for swimming?

Ewesful

I use the Convex Sensua Mio -- Coloplast makes a version of it as well - good adhesion -

I fold the bottom up and it is very comfy in my suit. There is also a swim version that I have been able to get in the past - it is a short bag but if you are in the water quite a while and need the extra size it can be an issue. I keep an appropriate bag (gray) handy for discharge; if necessary (if no facilities on hand) and dispose of it properly later.

So far I find the bag very liberating --- good luck!!