Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,247 members

Swimming and Ileostomies

Posted by Runner3, on Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:35 pm

Any competitive swimmers out there? I just started a swim class to build endurance and ability to compete in Triantalons. I have had my osteomyelitis for 28 years and just got back in pool in 2016. Big step for me. Any advice?  My biggest scare is changing in. A locker room . Not quit ready to bear it all.

I do trail races (2 marathons) with no issues but the swimming scares me.

Reply by Mrs.A, on Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi Runner,

Congrats on getting back in the water and your goals. I'm not a swimmer but I wanted to say hello and wish you the best of luck with your goal!

Reply by Bill, on Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:39 am

Hello Runner3.

Just the thought of trying to do a marathon or triathlon would scare me! 

As for the changing room. Think back to long before the ostomy, when you first went into a changing room. If you are anything like the rest of us, I feel sure that you will recall the anxiety of changing for the first time in a public place. With practice, we overcome our fears and just concentrate on the ultimate goals and reasons for having to change. It's called 'adjustment' and I feel sure that you will adjust with flying colours.

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by Ewesful, on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:15 pm

I cannot do what you do in the water bust I love swimming and I just go about the changing room like it is as normal as apple pie.  If you are not self-conscioous then no one else will be  -- you set the tone by your actions and confidence.  The other part is if anyone is curious and you are not in a hurry, let them see and understand what an ostomy is.  You will be doing the person and yourself a favor -- Knowledge is power!

May you have many happy competitions/races/events and all the more power to you!!!

Reply by moonshine, on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:00 am

i found that swimming means changing the bag every 2-3 days - the chlorine breaks the seal much quicker.....if you feel  uncomfortable change in the stall......

Reply by Ewesful, on Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:38 pm

I totally agree -- but it is worth the change to enjoy the Exercise -- I  ocean and lake swim with mine with  no problems. 

Reply by GypsyGirl, on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:30 am

What appliance(s) are you using to allow for swimming? 

Reply by Ewesful, on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:11 am

I use the convex Sensua Mio -- Coloplast makes a version of it as well - good adhesion - 

I fold the bottom up and it is very comfy in my suit.   There is also a swim version that I have been able to get in the opast - it is a short bag but if you are in the water quite awhile and need the extra size it can be an issue.  I keep an appropriate bag (gray) handy for discharge  if nesessary (if no facilities on hand) amd dispose of it properly later.   

So far I find the bag very liberating ---good luck!!

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.