Stoma Output Question

Replies
Views
Silveradokid

My stoma was created early November of 2016. Occasionally, discharge includes small red pieces that appear to be tissue from the stoma itself. Is this normal? Please advise. Thank you!

Bill

Hello Silveradokid.

Thanks for your question and (with the proviso that we are not medics) I can say that many past posts on here indicate that peculiar discharges seem to be relatively normal so soon after surgery. I certainly had a variety of worrysome bits and pieces coming from my stoma and from the anal stump in those early days and it is likely that the discharges are part of the healing process. However, there is nothing like having reassurance from those who are professionals in this field and I would recommend having a word with a stoma nurse, who is much more involved with aftercare than are the surgeons. I have found that these nurses do not mind us asking questions like this and if there is anything they can do to help, they will.

Best wishes

Bill    

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Silveradokid

Hi Bill. Thank you so much for your immediate and insightful reply. A stoma nurse from Visiting Nurse Services confirmed your insight regarding initial post-surgical discharges. The surgery has proven to be quite a life-changing event, albeit mostly positive. My pain from the UC inflammation was unbearable and now that it's gone, I feel as though I've gotten my life "back." It's a wonderful feeling that I no longer take for granted. Wishing you all the best!

NotDeadYet

What's "UC"?

Bill

Hello Not Dead Yet.

I'm a bit surprised that no one else has answered your question as yet so I'll enlighten you myself.  UC = Ulcerative Colitis in the context of stoma problems and conditions but it also has other meanings which are not os relevant.

Perhaps we ought to press for a list of relevant  'definitions' of realted stoma terms and abbreviations .

Whenever I have a question about defin itions, I usually Google the term but in the case of UC I had to read through two pages before locating the appropriate UC definition so perhaps it's not so easy as I first thought.

Best wishes

Bill

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister