Is it worth having kids in this world?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Primeboy

When I recently saw my son performing on a world-class stage and living his personal dream, one thought sprang into my head. Esther and I did at least one thing right. I can't set back the clock; but, if I could, we would have had a much bigger house filled with lots of little ones. I know Esther would agree and we would find a way to get by. I am not particularly religious, but I believe God would not throw challenges at us without giving us the strength or grace to manage everything properly. If He doesn't have the whole world in His hands, we are in a pile of hurt...which I doubt.

PB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Well said pb.....I'm sure you are proud and you should be of your son. I can admire the time and effort required to master music, so few can do it well as I quickly learned in grade school band class!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Hanaleah

I agree with Bain. It could not be stated better. My sister-in-law told us they are not even taught how to write script because of computers. Soon there will be no books, newspapers, or other handheld things. I think that is sad. But, it is the way of the future. You also see parents who consider computers, TV, and gaming. It depends on what kind of parent you are planning to be. I don't have children for many reasons. It is a very serious job and there are no guarantees how your child will turn out. I have friends who are wonderful people and wind up with monsters and others who have great kids. It is a game of chance.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Pray for peace, Hana

Immarsh

Hi PB and friends,

I can feel your pride as I read your post.

I answered this thread awhile back about facing this decision (of bringing children into the world) knowing that both my husband and I have IBD. We were told it "wasn't hereditary, but was familial." That was back in the 1960s when less was known. We talked about adoption but decided to go ahead with having our own children. When my oldest was 12, he started to bleed (Crohn's) and then years later my younger son was diagnosed with UC in his twenties. My then-husband and I were devastated, thinking that our kids were going to relive the horrors of our childhood illnesses. But times had changed, and medical technology and medications made management of their conditions a lot easier. Neither one has needed surgery. Both completed school and went on to college. Jay (who now lives in Australia) worked at the Museum of Natural History and was on the staff of the team who redid the Hall of Ocean Life. He picked the colors, the fonts, and put together the dioramas of the ecosystems of the world. As he said before he left for Australia, he left his handprint on the walls of the museum (NYC). My older son is a 6th-grade science teacher who won the Teacher of the Year award last year and who was also chosen to go to Space Camp, which is limited to 200 teachers from around the world each year.

I may have my painful memories of difficult times, but I'm proud to have brought two wonderful human beings into the world. They have productive lives, wonderful marriages, beautiful children, and are good people. Like you, PB, had I known (the future), I would have had more. But I'm blessed and am always grateful.

DonBrown1943

Marsh, thanks for your personal notes. I didn't know about your sons and you have a right to be, as does PB, very proud of them and of yourself. I thank you for your additions to the world.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Hermit

I thought your answer was right on the money, Bain

NJ Bain

@HonestAbe,

Thank you, sir. I had to go back and read what I wrote...lol

Past Member

Great question. I adopted a son at birth with my first wife and he has grown into a great young man with a degree in nursing. My second wife had 3 kids and we had one together. Her 3 kids, two have become very good adults while the third has a mental disability. Our son together has been the light of my life. Doing his masters and playing college baseball. He gave up his shot at the draft last year to be with me for my surgery/chemo. When I woke after 10 hours of surgery, he was there at my side. So bringing kids into the world for me was great, but I know it's not for everyone. On a note, if you marry into children and then have your own, it's difficult but to each his own.

sculptorjohn

I won't editorialize here or talk about the coming U.S. presidential election, but in case nobody has noticed, men with atom bombs are ready to kill us all. Just itching for an excuse, in fact. That ought to be enough to give anybody pause.

Axl

Couldn't have said that better myself.   .... And for the record, you would like my kids.