Itchy skin under ileostomy tape - any solutions?

Replies
Views
Mars1954

I have itchy skin under the tape around the appliance. I have had the ileostomy for nearly 3 years. I have no leaks and the itchiness is not under the flange. It is under the tape. Any ideas of what I can do? I also use fungal powder before installing the appliance. Is it possible I have developed an allergy to the tape (part of the Hollister appliance)?

Xerxes

That would be my guess. Have you changed your brand of wafers?

X_

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NJ Bain

Mars,

I know what you're going through but I do not have a solution. I've used Convatec drainable pouches all of my life. For 9 years, I had no issues with the tape that anchors down the wafer.

On the 10th year, I had the itchiness just under the tape and my skin would weep yellow serous fluid, stain the tape and the tape would slough off. The itchiness was so bad, my ears would ring. I was told by my ET nurse to check with the manufacturer to see if there was a change in the ingredients on the adhesive for the tape. But that had no results.

I then spoke to an allergist and asked the same question. You can develop allergies over time. And that seemed to be the case for me. I then just started cutting the tape off of the wafer and I haven't had an issue since.

I know there have been other posts about this and other people have different solutions. Might want to check those out.

Bain

Ewesful

I developed allergic reactions to all but paper tape. And the paper tape is not a super adhesive but it works. You can also swap to another bag for a while. Is the barrier wipe the cause? I have had issues with all but the Smith and Nephew brand. That can react with the tape as well. Good luck.

Immarsh

Hi,

It's not unusual to develop an allergy to a product or tape. I use Convatec, and have no problem with the tape on the flange, although I'm allergic to most adhesive tapes. The best paper tape I've used is Scanpoor (a BARD product) but it hasn't been available by my new distributor... I'm trying new tapes... but still like Scanpoor the best. Someone suggested that you cut off the tape around the flange and see if that works. Just use another tape to anchor the flange to the skin. You also say that you use a fungal powder... That may be causing the itching. I use an ostomy powder... that helps with healing and itching. You might want to try that. Stay in touch and let us know if you find a solution.

Best regards,

Marsha

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Marsone

Hi Marsha,

I'm Marsha too, aka Marsone. I had a quick question if that's okay. I get itchy like crazy under my adhesive on the bag. Was that what you have or other tape? I already knew I had issues with tape so almost anything I put on to help it adhere was awful.

I switched to a one-piece by Coloplast for my Urostomy. I use a two-piece by Hollister for the Colonoscopy.

Have you had success with a product that's less itchy?

Thanks,

Marsha too

Thanks

LadyHope

Hi Marsha, I also have issues with skin/wafer irritation. It occurs mostly during the warmer months. I think the adhesive reacts with my skin. I have tried everything but what is most helpful is baby powder around the area. It helps absorb the moisture during the warmer months. Thank you for the post. Take care. LH

Marsone

Hi lady! Thanks for getting back to me! I hesitate to try baby powder but I guess I should just do it!

However, I'm thinking the baby powder would keep the adhesive from sticking...do you use additional tape?

Because I have 2 stomas and a hernia, the tape doesn't lay flat and creates havoc. Also...breasts get in the way of seeing it. Ugh!

I need to read your story. If you have questions or just want to chat, I'd like that. Bless you!

DonBrown1943

Convatec as well as a couple of other companies market powders that protect the skin at the same time as acting as an adhesive. I use Convatec because that's what the hospital sent home with me and I just stayed with it. The skin must be clean and dry. Sprinkle the powder wherever you need adhesive, being particularly sure to cover the itchy tender skin areas. Then use a tissue to brush excess powder off until you can barely see a thin coating of the powder. Apply your water or one-piece appliance and you should be good to go. You might want to try different company brands to find the one that works best for you.

DonBrown1943

Please replace the word water with the word wafer.

iMacG5

Hey folks, I'm thinking the tape you refer to is the adhesive on the perimeter of the flange.  I struggled with that for a while and followed a recommendation to cut the tape where the irritation begins.  So now the perimeter of the flange tape might be interrupted in a couple places exposing bare skin that might be irritated.  The sections I cut out were about a half to three quarters of an inch long.  It worked very well for me and it's been OK for a couple years now.

I hope this makes sense.  If not I'll rewrite in something that resembles english.

DonBrown's method also works but we might want to apply a couple layers.  It's called "crusting" and it's been very effective. 

Good luck,

Mike

iMacG5

Hey LH, what you describe seems to happen from the skin trying to move and the adhesive preventing it.  It's not too unlike when we were kids and put our hands next to each other on someone's forearm and twisted them in opposite directions.  The skin between the hands got irritated.  Maybe this just happened in Catholic schools.  The adhesive tape might have a similar effect and, if we cut separations in it, it might relieve the stress on the skin.

I'm almost positive I'm not making a lot of sense but hopefully it's enough to suggest a simple remedy.

Good luck,

Mike

LadyHope

Hi iMacG5, thank you so much for the insight. I will keep aware and let you know if my skin improves.

Marsha, I am sorry if I confused the situation. I do not place baby powder under my wafer, only on the skin around the wafer to absorb moisture, especially in the summer months. Any powder on the peristomal skin prior to securing the flange in place will not allow the flange to adhere properly. Sometimes, I will sprinkle some ostomy powder around the stoma after my flange is secure to help absorb any extra liquid when I am changing my pouch. I apologize for the confusion. Also, if you would like to ask me any questions about living with an ostomy, feel free to send an email or answer this post. Currently, I am not a full member so I can't initiate a private chat. Take care. Sincerely, LH

Sasquatch

Mars,

I'm also getting the same issues with the itchiness, also using Hollister wafers. They've given me some samples of some tapeless wafers that seem to be better. I think I may have an allergy to the tape, I know band-aids sometimes irritate my skin. You might try calling them to see if they can give you some samples to try. Good luck getting it all sorted out.

Sasquatch

LadyHope

I apologize... I mistyped.... The second part of my post was answering Marsone and her question about using baby powder. Thanks.

CharK63

I'm having a terrible time with the bandages on my open stoma site scar! I feel like clawing it off and once I start feeling it, it spreads further around.

The only non-latex tape I've found in retail is Nexcare brand and it's very pricey. The staff isn't helpful either.

I'm calling my go-to to see if he'll order from medical supply as well as spray adhesive remover. Think I'll ask for abdomen support even though the surgeon says I don't need it. I think we all should have one to prevent hernias and hold us in place after having our guts all rearranged in there.

Charlotte

rickb

Have you tried using tincture of benzoin as a skin barrier under the tape?

LadyHope

I have similar problems in the warmer months. The wafers make my skin itch a lot. I did try several different skin barrier wipes and they help. It seems that I change my products with the change of seasons. Let us know how you make out. Take care. LH

joegreen

I get that from time to time. The skin would get weepy and itch. I would cut away the tape just in that spot and let the air get at it. Usually by the time I next changed the wafer, the skin in that spot would be dry, cleared up and the tape from the next, new wafer would adhere and not cause this reaction. The weepy skin would only present occasionally, i.e. a couple times a year. It may have started because I didn't fully dry the tape before getting dressed after showering. The tape/skin was therefore wet for a prolonged period and the issue would arise. Maybe like jock itch?!? I've heard others say you could wash, then apply calamine lotion. They said when the lotion was dry it would not affect tape adhesion, and it would help the itch. Never tried it, but it's food for thought.

Past Member

I'm allergic to all adhesives. Find things that are plant-based. If you use the powder, it clears up the present situation. Try this homemade solution while at home to give your tummy a rest. Use Knox gelatin found in food stores. Get a good consistency and use it in place of regular adhesive. The gelatin can be broken down by the gastric acid, so keep an eye on it. In the meantime, we all should be looking to plant-based materials for our ileostomy or colostomy, etc. To see how strong the Knox is, mix some up and ask your wife to put spikes in her hair using the gelatin. I worked with high school students, and one fellow got one week of keeping his hair 6 inches spiked up from his scalp. Wake up with no maintenance. I gave this some thought. It does work like super glue, no irritation, and makes the hair shiny and gives the tummy a rest.

Xerxes

Hi Marsone,

You can try karaya powder. It is just that, a powder. Apply around the stoma only on the skin immediately in contact with the stoma. It will help.

X_

Hanaleah

Hi: I don't know what appliance you use. I was having the same problem. I use Coloplast and the WOC nurse gave me this cream called Sween Cream.

It is the only cream made to go under the wafer. Since I have been using it, I don't have these problems. I don't know if this helps, but it is worth a try.

Pray for Peace, Hana

britathrt60

I have had my ileostomy for 18 years and am allergic to all adhesives...much much worse in summer months....honestly when I get itchy under the wafer I take a Reactine extra strength antihistamine for allergies...it works great..relieves the itch fast. Good luck everyone.

BeachBum61

Hi Mars, I've had my ileostomy for 2 years now and I was having the same issues up until about 3 weeks ago. I went to my ostomy nurse and we changed supplies, skin is clear now. Good luck to you.

looking forward

Hi beach bum, I was from Pennsylvania and moved to Florida. I am having my ileostomy this Thursday.