Coping with Down Days: Seeking Advice and Support

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic provides advice and support for coping with difficult days after ostomy surgery.
Dita

I've only joined on here today and I am enjoying reading a lot of the forum posts, you all seem lovely.

I had my ileostomy in 2010 and it was made permanent in 2012 because of so many complications.

2017 now and I've got to say I've handled things pretty well, but recently I have just been feeling quite rubbish about it all!

This isn't like me as normally I'm fun-loving, and brush things off but having an ileostomy has really started to annoy me!

Not much I can do because I'm stuck with the ileostomy for the rest of my life and I know I wouldn't be here if I didn't have it!

How do others cope when feeling a bit down about their situation?? xxx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NJ Bain

Dita,

Welcome to the site. I'm glad you're enjoying the posts.

Everyone copes a little bit differently. The only time I've felt down about having an ileostomy is when I had a leak or product failure. It rarely happens anymore for myself, but for others, it seems to be a constant.

But like you, a lot of us wouldn't be here if it weren't for the ostomy. Just don't let the ostomy define you. It's a part of you now, so the best advice I can give is to own it.

And since you've found the site, you have even more support if you're feeling down or singled out, and there is always someone willing to listen. Someone has been there, done that. We are all here for each other.

So again, welcome, and hopefully you find the answers and support you're looking for.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello Dita.

Welcome to the ostomy 'club' and to this site, where we can share our feelings on such matters as the stomatic life throws at us.

I think most ostomates have their ups and downs with regard to percieving life after the operation. However, once the adjustment takes place, we tend to live relatively normal lives under the new regime. I could go on for hours about my feelings in those early days but I tend to write rhyming verse to help me cope with the psychological and emotional impact of traumatic events. The results of my poetic writing on stoma isssues can be found in my blog posts. so if you are interested in one person's poetic ramblings about stoma issues, then they are all still available under my profile.

I hope you like the site and become a regular contributer, whether that be in corresponding or just reading the posts I'm sure you will get a lot out of participating alongside the rest of us.

Best wishes

Bill  

Dita

Thank you very much for your post, I enjoy reading poems so I will take the time to read them. Thank you, every little helps!

Yes, I will definitely become a regular contributor as I feel it is good therapy and besides that, I really enjoy talking to people.

Thank you and best wishes.

Dita

Dita

Thank you for your post, Bain.

I agree totally with what you say. It's just a part of me I can't let it define me!

It's funny, but normally when things are going well with jobs, studying, and family, having an ostomy doesn't bother me at all.

In fact, I pretty much generally forget I even have one, apart from obviously looking after it daily.

But I do find if I'm having problems in other life areas, I tend to not be able to cope with having the ostomy. It feels like the last straw having to deal with that as well, ha! (It gets the blame for everything!!)

But onwards and upwards, thank you for your reply. Nice to know there are people out there.

A lot of my friends don't know I have an ostomy, not that I deliberately hide it. I just don't ever sort of have the conversation.

I met a lot of my friends after the operation as I moved to Wales, so they didn't know me before.

So it's great to be on this site.

Best wishes,

Dita

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mrs.A

Hi Dita,

Welcome to MAO. It is truly a great place to come and read about what so many of us feel and do about situations with having an ostomy. Sometimes just knowing we're not alone in our troubles is enough, but it is awesome when someone's post helps another. I too hope you become a regular participant here to help in encouraging others as well as sharing your feelings and experiences.

Upwards and onwards is a great way to keep it moving and not let something hold us back. It can be helpful to figure out why or what is trying to hold us back too, that way if it should ever make us feel down again we have a better understanding of how to deal with it.

Dita

Thank you Mrs. A, for such kind and helpful words.

NotDeadYet

Welcome, Dita!

When I feel a little overwhelmed by my colostomy, I come to this site!

After surgery, I made sure my friends knew that I had a colostomy. Good friends will always be understanding and supportive, and they can be better friends by knowing me better.

And sometimes my actions ("Sorry, you can't use the little bathroom just yet... use the other one!") are far more understandable if they know what's going on. Otherwise, I imagine that they might wonder how I can seemingly fart through my belly button!