Colostomy Reversal and Hernia: Any Advice?

Replies
Views
k.carl

Wow... I feel so much better after reading this thread (but am so sorry so many of you are suffering!)!!!!

I had no idea how common it was to get hernias after abdominal surgery!!! I also had an emergency colostomy after my colon ruptured earlier this year. Three months later, I had my reversal surgery... and 5 months later had hernia surgery for hernias behind all of my scars (4 in total). It sounds like they covered my entire abdomen with one piece of mesh, so I hope this helps prevent them from recurring. It has been more painful than both other surgeries combined... beyond words. I'm only 2 weeks out, and I understand I will still be in pain for a few more weeks (per the doc), but after reading this, it sounds like it will be more like months. The pain is getting better, but each twinge scares me to death... the fear of getting that bag again is hard to shake.

If any of you have found any exercises or supplements to take, or anything to do to help prevent the recurrence of any issues, please let me know!! I heard the typical - don't smoke or gain weight. :)

Thanks, Kathy

Lifechange

Hi there. I haven't been too good in keeping up with questions and answers on this site. About 6 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, so now my reversal will be put on hold for probably a year as I will be having chemotherapy followed by radiation. My hernia is getting bigger, but that is not my priority at the moment. I remain positive.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Shoebiz

I am a newbie to the site. I had a colectomy at the end of August and will see the surgeon soon about reversal. I am hoping it will take place in December 2017. I have just developed a large hernia just above the stoma. Do they always have to be removed surgically?
Also, is the reversal surgery as bad as the first? I have other health issues and the first surgery was pretty tough for recovery.

supermeguk

Hi all.

Well, I finally have a date - woo! 13th December, which is 8 months late. I have my follow-up complaint to thank for that as my gynaecologist couldn't believe it was still going on. He may have started this nightmare by perforating me but has been fighting my corner since March while the colorectal surgeon just did nothing. So I will be under his care at a different hospital, and the colorectal one will perform the reversal and parastomal hernia repair there under his watchful eye. I'm quite relieved after the awful treatment I received post-op last year and dreaded going back to the same ward with most of the same horrible nurses (except 4 who were brilliant). My gynae prefers sutures, so I'm hoping he'll insist on those instead of staples in the area that didn't heal for 7 months. Pity really, the hospital has continued defending the actions of one surgeon and made excuses for his behavior. I'm not letting this go, especially since losing my job due to it and being unable to claim sick benefit or look for another one until this was sorted.

I just got back from a cruise I'd booked in January since I was supposed to be fully recovered by now. No one medical told me not to go, and I looked on it as a way to relax after the physical, emotional, and mental suffering he's put me through. It didn't turn out that way as the hernia made me very ill, in agony, and I ended up confined to my cabin a couple of days after a severe bout of vomiting (my second lot in three days but the first was just twice). The ship's doctor thought it's becoming strangulated and could not believe I've been left this long, so it's just added to that stress and upset. I'm feeling much better but still not 100%. Now I have to hope I can get that money back from the insurance company. I did declare the stoma and hernia, so everything crossed since it's nearly £200. I made sure both gynae and colorectal will be told, and I have a letter for my stoma nurse on Thursday from the ship's doctor if she wants it.

supermeguk

Hi Kathy,

How are things going with you? Did you manage to find any answers? The weight thing isn't so easy. I have underactive thyroid then back issues caused my lack of Vit D, lack of estrogen and endometriosis led to limited mobility for 7 years. Finally get the last bit fixed with the hysterectomy and I get perforated so more weight gain. I want my life back and weight off.  

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
violeta

Hi everyone!

New here...maybe I'll find some support and advice after these terrible last 7 years.

Going back: in January 2017, I underwent emergency surgery due to sigmoid colon perforation + peritonitis (5 cm due to fecaloma). Lost 15 cm of colon. Have a stoma. Was supposed to be temporary (3-4 months) but it's been almost 15 months. The fecaloma was the result of constipation (unaware of this problem!) from the use of narcotics/opioids (Percocet about 25-30 mg/day). Nobody mentioned/warned about this side effect. This was treatment for Arachnoiditis diagnosed, by pure and lucky chance, on March 2016 based on MRI findings. Had been suffering from serious low back pain and burning along legs for 5 years prior to diagnosis. Had been told had disk bulges and pressure on nerve roots. Was given 3 ESIs with Depomedrol in 2011 - with no relief and worsening of symptoms. Was told the Arachnoiditis (never heard of this horrible disease before) was caused by the injections (not FDA approved and not recommended for epidural or intrathecal use). Was healthy and active before this nightmare began (swimming, trekking, skiing).

So, now I suffer from an incurable, extremely painful neuropathy (Arachnoiditis) ...and have a stoma. Stoma closure was offered to me but I understood (lots of reading) that another perforation might happen since I need narcotics 24/7 for simple survival - otherwise the pain/burning/electric shocks do not allow me to function at all.

Is there anyone here who can relate to this, in part or at all? I am completely alone: "friends" have disappeared as if I had leprosy and doctors seem to prefer not to touch me (too complicated?).

Happy for any word of support, advice, empathy...anything is welcome.

Thanks.