Figuring out my diet

In this discussion
Replies
Views
newbyinDakota

Hi. I have had my ostomy for 2 weeks now. Double Barrel diverting due to rectal tear from hyst. surgery. I have also now developed a bladder/vag. fistula causing constant urine leak despite a foley cath. My issue is that it's hard to keep up with the fluids and my output goes from thick to watery within the same day. Is it basically a guessing game when deciding on what to eat or not? I have lost a lot of weight and am facing 2 more surgeries within the next month or so... so easy to get down and depressed.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

It is a guessing game initially. But be careful to watch what you are eating... and journaling it may be the best way. So when the output becomes what you want it to be, look back and see what you ate.

The first few months I found difficult until I found what worked and what didn't.

Sorry to hear of your troubles... hang in there... it may not seem like it right now, but it will get better.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
newbyinDakota

Thanks for the support. My name is Suz too! Just having hope is a lot. One day at a time, eh?

Past Member

It is... one day at a time. It is overwhelming at first. But before you know it, you are a pro!

ZACK

Been awhile since posting but see if I can do it right. My great surgeon said to me about diet as he signed off my case..."Eat anything you like, son," I was younger than him then, "if it makes you sick, just don't eat it again." I found that about right. Garlic and cabbage family (gas producers) are all that bother me and that's just gas to cause an early trip to the toilet. Good luck. The worst is behind you now. ZACK

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ZACK

This is Zack again. After rereading, I see that you have a new ostomy, 2 weeks ago. This is a more measured post. It seems like it took some time for my ileostomy to "stabilize", maybe a couple of months or so. What others wrote about journaling would have been good for me back then.
It's been 34 years now, but I think I recall eating just small amounts of food until seeing how they "settle". "Easily digested low residue" foods is what I remember the doctor saying. I would just take it easy for a month or two. I guess we are/were all different. I had a complete ileostomy and my gall bladder removed as well. I eat spicy Mexican and southern barbecue with no trouble at all and have been doing so for as long as I can remember. Like I posted before, the worst is behind you now.

budd002

I have to admit, keeping a journal really will help. I kept one for 6 years and always brought it to my doctor appointments as well. I recorded input and output. What I had for meals and snacks. Try to keep track of how much liquid you are intaking as well.

I was also told to eat whatever it was I was hankering for because it would make me crazy wanting it. Even though raw veggies, cabbage, etc. will cause gas in my ostomy, I still get a taste and grumble to myself on my way to the washroom 12 extra times later that night or the next day. My own fault, I knew the consequences.

Keep track of your pains as well, as this could be an indication of a twist perhaps since that tends to happen as well.

Good luck and I hope things turn around for you. Remember, you are only 2 weeks into this. Your body is still adjusting.

WI Badger
Hi--I am relearning how to regulate my ileostomy as well. I had my ileostomy initially in 2001. Last week, Dec 17, 2009, I had it moved to the other side due to a parastomal hernia, so it is like learning to live with an ostomy again. I had a hysterectomy at the same time. I am finding that this time around it is thickening more quickly than the first time. I don't know if that is because it was used to it already or if I am doing something different. If I focus heavily on foods such as pasta, bananas, oatmeal, cream of wheat, pudding, etc., the output thickens nicely. I am just a week post now. If I drink soda/pop, it tends to go liquid. I introduced some cooked veggies today and the jury is still out on these (peppers, onions, tomatoes). Squash and carrots thicken nicely too. Sipping liquids is definitely better. I have a tendency to drink large quantities quickly as I dehydrate easily. This becomes a vicious cycle for me sometimes. I'm trying to drink more water and less of other liquids. Gatorade is great to help maintain hydration. Hope this helps some. Things eventually get better. As they say, time heals all wounds. Good luck!