Advice on Asshole Closure Surgery?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
IHateColons

I'm seriously considering it.

So, here's a brief rundown of my history. I have Crohn's Disease. My colon perforated in 2011, so I had an emergency colectomy and ileostomy done. The surgeons left about 10 or so inches of my colon connected to my rectum. At the time, they thought I had UC and might eventually want to get reconnected. However, I've since found out that I have Crohn's and honestly, just don't want to be reconnected. My stoma and I get along pretty well, and I've heard the horror stories of reconnection surgery.

Anyways, I've always had mucus and some blood from my rear since surgery. The past year or so, it's gotten pretty bad. I can't sneeze without having to change my drawers. I've had 2 sigmoidoscopies done since November that showed severe inflammation from the Crohn's. I've been doing nightly Canasa suppositories to no avail. I can't do any of the "Biologic" meds because I have congestive heart failure. So, my option is to have surgery to have the remaining colon removed and my asshole sewed shut. Well, I guess I could leave it in there and have it perforate or eventually turn into cancer. But, I'll take my surgical chances.

I'm sure lots of y'all have had this done before, so I was wondering if you could give me some advice. If you had an absolute horror story, I'd rather not hear. Obviously, I know it's going to hurt and that my booty will never be the same. I'm just not having a lot of luck when I google "Barbie Butt Surgery" or "Asshole Closure".

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello IHateColons.

I must admit I don't know much about this as I opted not to have a 'Barbie-bum'.

There is a past post on the subject that can be found in the 'collections' section under 'ostomy surgeries and procedures' and the post is called  'Surgery to remove rectum, post-ileostomy'.

Personally, I found the post and replies very interesting and hope that you will get something from it too.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
IHateColons

Thank you for the information! I'll definitely check it out!

winnie

Hello IHateColons, I had gotten my Barbie butt at the same time I received my stoma.. Little did I know that was part of the package or didn't understand the terminology back in the day.. But my horror story is different because I had radiation with a burnt butt to deal with.. You will have the phantom discomfort.. Which to me never goes away, they just become less.. I'm glad it was done. I wouldn't want to deal with what some of the other members deal with.. Any questions, feel free to ask or message me.

texazgal

Like Winnie, I have had a Barbie butt since my stoma was created. I was surprised that it was done, but upon hearing about the mucus and other junk coming out from others, I am glad not to deal with it. Yes, it hurt for a long time and even after 13 years, sitting on hard surfaces is uncomfortable. I used a foam pillow for sitting (not a donut) for the longest time and it's no big deal now. I would lose the butthole if I were you. I think you'd be happier.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Daisey

Lose the butthole, honey! I haven't had one for fourteen years and haven't missed it for one moment... Good luck with your recovery... that's the worst part, as you already know. After that, it should be smooth sailing for you.

medic361

My story is due to cancer, at 44 years old I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer, ended up with a colostomy and a Barbie butt. After surgery, I spent a week in the hospital and within 3 months, I was back on my motorcycle. There was some numbness after, but 99% is gone now, 3 years later. I was lucky and haven't had any issues. I healed quickly and adjusted to the colostomy easily because I am able to irrigate, which gives me regularity to my life. Good luck with the surgery.

liberty238

Hi there. I had UC. 5 years ago, I had a colon check and was clear, no cancer, no nothing. 2 months later, I started to bleed from rectum. After 2 months, I was rushed to U M to Intensive Care in serious condition. I was there for 7 weeks or more. Cut story short, I lost my big bowels. I was okay with that, I would live. I got to go home, they left me with a tail to reconnect if I wanted to. One year later, the tail started to bleed and I made the choice to take it out and the rectum. I did not want cancer, and I am so glad I did. I have no regrets. Yes, there was pain, but with God's help, I made it. You will do fine and will not regret it, believe me. Good luck.

bigal1579

I guess mine is a Ken butt, but (or maybe butt) I concur that you should go for it. I think the most effective cancer or pre-cancer condition treatments are those where they can cut out the offending tissue. If there is a likelihood it might develop into cancer, it certainly seems prudent to get it removed. Mucus, blood, inflammation, it certainly seems like you are correct in wanting to get rid of that.

I have never felt any phantom urges, so it is not certain that will occur, but even if it does, I think it will lessen over time and not bother you.

Full healing time can be really long. Mine was more than 3 years. However, that doesn't mean you have pain or discomfort for that long, it's just that there can be a need for skin to grow over, which is called granulation, which is that pink type of skin that needs to grow in to fill over a gap. I think my healing time was an aberration, and I only mention it so that if it ever seems to be taking a long time, hang in there, because it will eventually heal, and even while it is not fully healed, it doesn't take too long before it stops being a pain in the butt.

The thing that really helps is always packing it as tight as you can with gauze. You can just roll up some sterile gauze and shove it in as tightly as you can into the crack (you'll still have a crack - it just won't go anywhere). That helps with any wound leakage, but I think it mostly keeps the new and tender skin from rubbing together, which tends to open it.

vikinga

Hi "I hate Colons"....

First of all, although I am not Texan, I am in Fort Worth! So Howdy. I had my emergency ileostomy surgery in 2012. That's a WHOLE other long story.

For about 3+ years now I have been the VP of the Ostomy Support Association of Fort Worth. Figured that was a positive way of dealing with "the change";) as well as learning and sharing.

I still have my rectal stump. Don't know if I will ever get reconnected, but I wanted to keep my options "open":)

On this journey of trying to figure out what causes the inflammation that gets us to UC, Crohn's, and Cancer, I came across a lot of amazing info on Turmeric. I took this info and started making myself a Turmeric latte first thing every morning before anything else. And guess what? Virtually all the bloodiness I had in my discharge has gone!!!! (I had a good deal) I have decided that having my rectal stump is a great "thermometer" if you will, of knowing how my level of inflammation is in my body. What the surgeons don't tell you is that getting rid of the rectal stump does NOT get rid of the possibility of inflammation in your body. It can show up anywhere. So, I and my rectal stump are friends. I do get the occasional mucus but very controllable and doable. Just something to think about. There is a lot of great studies on the helpfulness of Turmeric in Crohn's and UC AND Cancer!!!!

In case anyone here is interested, this is the recipe I use:

TURMERIC LATTE RECIPE

This is what I drink first thing every morning on an empty stomach. I have actually experienced notable improvement by doing this and recommend it highly. That way I get a mega dose of turmeric and skip the capsules. I have found buying Starwest or Frontier ORGANIC ground Turmeric by the pound is the most economical and best quality. I get them either on Vitacost.com or Amazon. The coconut butter adds flavor but isn't absolutely essential. The Coconut oil helps with absorption as does the black pepper.

How to Do It – Turmeric Latte
It's quick and easy to make, save for an upfront 10-minute prep of turmeric paste.

Combine 2 cups of water with 1 cup of ground organic turmeric in a saucepan and heat on low for about 7 minutes, stirring to keep it from burning and adding more water (up to 1 additional cup) if it becomes too dry. I usually am able to not add more. You want the paste to be thick.

Remove from heat and stir in 2/3 cup of unrefined organic coconut oil (I use coconut) or extra virgin olive oil, and 1 tsp of ground organic black pepper.
At this point, I also add 1 t. organic ginger, 1 t. o. cinnamon, and 1/2 t o. clove and 1/2 t. o. cardamom. Mix really well. Store this in a glass container in the fridge.

In the morning, put one teaspoon to one T of paste in a mug (I actually use close to 2 T. now), add a teaspoon or two of organic raw honey and a 1/2 t of organic coconut butter to about a 1/3 cup of almond, coconut, or hemp milk
Fill the rest of the mug with boiling water – and stir well! It tastes great!

Personally, making this a routine in my life is well worth the result of a happy butt!