Product suggestions for distance running?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
PAmarathoner

For any of you runners out there, do any of you have any suggestions about what products work best for you? I run distance and in the next few months, I will begin slowly getting back to training. I'm only about 3 weeks post-op and my output is somewhat unpredictable right now. I'm either putting out nothing without the aid of irrigation, or I'm putting out steadily all day with a pretty thick consistency.

I am concerned about leaking, bag detachment, and the bag getting bogged down with sweat. Any suggestions? Also, I'm wondering what hydration belts you might recommend?

Thanks everyone! :)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hi PAmarathoner,

I'm no runner, but having my ostomy for 12 years, I'm thinking maybe you could call the manufacturers of the supplies you use. They know their products best and might have some insight.

Best of luck in the next marathon you choose to run in.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
mild_mannered_super_hero

I can't help with the running advice, I personally prefer motorized transport for getting from point A to point B. If you qualify for irrigation, then an ostomy will have little impact on your running. I have been irrigating for many years and don't even wear a pouch anymore, but rather Hollister's product 1796 which is just really a 2.5x2.5 inch bandage - big bandaid. You can time your irrigation to best help you avoid any output once you get the hang of things and watch your fiber intake. Best of luck, mmsh.

PAmarathoner

Thanks everyone!!

I do currently irrigate as I have severe slow motility (it takes 10 days for stuff to move through my colon from start to finish) and ended up with a blockage, so in the hospital my WOC suggested starting to irrigate with soap suds enemas 1-2x a day. Her and my GI warned that due to the dysmotility my body might never adjust to a "regular" and predictable schedule, even with the irrigating. Sometimes with irrigation I get nothing but 100mL of "bowel sweat", sometimes I'll fill the bag halfway and get nothing for days. But I'll keep working on it!

Looking forward to learning more! :)

medic361

Once you have been irrigating for a month or so, you will be able to gauge your output. This early after surgery, you are still healing and your output will be slightly unpredictable. Also, I would keep a food diary so that you can see which foods stimulate bowel production more than others. When running, I would plan to intake 2-3 times your normal water intake due to the loss of absorbed water from irrigation. I wouldn't push to get back to long runs until you are healed; there have been lots of things moved around. Good luck!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
newcastle

Hi Pamarathoner

I find from experience the only area of concern is when I run early in the morning I can sometimes have issues with the pouch filling so it's best to run early afternoon when everything seems to have settled.

Most appliances are waterproof so you can run with confidence even in wet weather.

Good luck

Joe Brady

chet8625

I have an ileal conduit so I'm not sure if my suggestions will help. I use Coloplast products and they seem to hold up well when I run. I use the elastic barrier strips for added protection around the base and a rubber belt for extra support with the bouncing up and down.

I don't eat or drink very much before running since I don't like to run with a lot in my stomach, so that also means output is less during my run.

As for a hydration belt, I never run so far that I'll need hydration during my run, so I can't help you there.

realmccoy18

I have a question concerning irrigation. Is it something recommended for colostomy recipients? It takes things forever to process through for me. I am in the hospital every couple of months because I get really sick. I either have little output or it's all liquid when it happens. When my stomach is being weird, it causes me to bear down like I am having a BM. It causes me to throw up, nothing but really dark green stuff, and I feel like I am going to have an accident on myself because it is forcing me to bear down. It causes me to sweat really bad and causes my chest to feel a little cold. It's a scary feeling. They admit me for a week or so, check for blockages and such, and send me home till the next time. No one can tell me what's wrong so I can't fix it. I can't hold a job anymore because everything is so unpredictable. When things are sort of normal, the consistency is solid or mushy like a paste. Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this, what it might be, and how to fix it, so I can go back to my life? I am a Professional Counselor by career and because I can't work, my clients have to be referred out or wait till I am better. Neither one of those solutions is good for them and it makes me hurt for them. So any ideas and solutions you guys can provide are much appreciated. Also, with what I have, is irrigation a better route for me to stop the problem in its tracks? What is irrigation, how does it work, how often do I need to do it, and finally, if I do it, will I still need a bag?

Thanks in advance,

Peggy

weewee

It's been 3 months I have been going to the gym in late afternoons. I try and eat several hours before going and eat after I am done with my workouts. I used the stair stepper; it raises heart rate fast and makes me sweat more in 10 minutes than the treadmill I am on for 1 hour. I don't run on the treadmills; I walk at a fast pace, and it still causes some output to happen, lots of gas also. So, I have little problems with the heat I create, and my wafer comes off, so you can get sports tape to hold them on while you are running. Remember that you still might have a leak started like I do and still have to change afterwards. I have wax rings that help but don't stop the leaks after I raise my body temperature.

NHMike

I'm amazed that you're running three weeks out of surgery. I had an open surgery with a five-inch cut and a lot of lap holes in the area and had trouble over 3.2 MPH walking. I ran a total of five steps yesterday and feel that I can run (Stoma Nurse gave me an ostomy belt yesterday) and I will give it a try with short distances. It's pretty cold here so I will be either using an indoor track or the treadmill at the gym so I have access to bathrooms and water should I need them. I think that it will be a while before I get anything appreciable in distance and I don't have an okay from my surgeon on any of this (I need to ask).

How have you done with your running since your original post?