Prolapsed Rectum

In this discussion
Replies
Views
will80991953

Mayoman, three years ago I had a prolapse rectum. I had surgery to repair it and the surgeon removed my sigmoid colon while repairing the rectal prolapse. Two months ago my rectum prolapsed again. With the sigmoid colon gone there wasn't a lot left to attach the rectum to the colon. Because I have become totally incontinent I will be having surgery on April 10th. My rectum and anus will be removed and an ostomy will be formed.i feel as if I am in a living nightmare.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello will80991953.

Welcome to Meetanostomate and thank you for posting as it reminded me so much of my own situation prior to having the stoma.

On here we tend to speak from our own experiences so that people reading the posts can get a genuine feeling of what it has been like  before and after surgery. For my part, I can honestly say that the 'nightmare' of faecal incontinence ended as soon as I had the stoma and I HAVE BEEN GRATEFUL FOR THE NEW  MANAGEMENT ARRANGEMENTS EVER SINCE.

As you will be well aware, trying to cope with incontinence from the anus can be impossibly, messy and embarrassing and somewhat frustrating and depressing at times. Managing the same output, with a stoma at the front of your body, is immeasurably simpler and more manageable. Yes! there were teething problems in the early days and some adjustments to make in attitudes but the experiences of the previous incontinence made all those adjustments seem worthwhile. I now live a relatively normal life and do not even think about the stoma that much.

I wish you well with your operation and I feel confident that you will never regret moving forward to your new nad improved existence.

Best wishes

Bill  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
iMacG5

Hey Will, Bill's reply is so accurate.  Sure, you'll need to getting used to your new system but the "nightmare" will end almost immediately.  

I'm repeating the last paragraph from Bill.

Sincerely,

Mike

Rosyred

Hi I had emergency ileostomy in 2010. I had IBS beforehand with leakage because of weak sprincter muscles but the operation had nothing to do with that. I was so shocked but once I got over that my life has been normal. You get used to emptying the pouch (I use one piece) and changing it. Once the Stoma has settled you get into a routine which suits you. After the op just take things easy and rest. One thing I would say is to discuss with the Stoma nurse the best position for the stoma. As mine was emergency and abdominal area was really swollen mine is not in a very good place. Usually ileostomies are on the right side. The leakage will be gone straight away.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Sincerely

pauline