Fight with Cancer

In this discussion
Replies
Views
vulcanBMk2

I have a bit of a ;problem with the usual " Media " statement "he /she lost their fight with cancer "This seems to presume that they had anequal chance of beating cancer , as cancer did of killing them.How stupid !!you cannot fight against cancer, there is no cure for cancer cancer will allways kill you . You may like most of us here survive or temporarily survive cancer by radicalmeans "

Yes like cutting lumps out of you re jigging your vitalorgans . I had complete removal of my Bladder ;, before the cancer broke out of my bladder went wandering around my body looking for another host organ to infect.,ARADICAL CYRECOTOMYwith the addittion of a Illeal conduitto drect the urine from my kidneys into drainableplastic bag . This done, same as most Colo / Uro on here , bychopping off a length of your guts punching it out through a hole in your belly .

This isnt exactly a CURE for cancer ,you didnt have an injection it suddenly went away ??Some people have had radiation treatment , that has bad side effects usually does more ;harm than good by destroying surrounding tissue . Plus who wants the sickness hair loss ??

I believe I am cancer free a survivor , but i wasnt CURED .I am still herebecause of amazingly radical , painful & intrusivemedical operation .

We are all being kept here , alive, by the ;grace of modern surgery , not by any advance of modern medicine ...That day has yet to come...

People dont pass away after a brave fight !! Wether they had cancer for 10 mins or ;10 yrs , it was cancer that killed them was always going to ..

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello VulcanBMk2.

I can empathise and agree with your feelings about this sort of media statement but my own antipathy towards some of the media statements goes way beyond this particular crass effort to make out that the experience is something that it is not. For me, the answer lies in switching off from the types of media that use these platitudes the most. 

This has led me to have never bought a newspaper in my life as most of the content is not what I would consider 'news' but fairly straightforward, self-opinionated journalism, designed to sell newspapers. So in effect so-called newspapers have become one big advertising sheet of paper that they have the cheek to charge money for.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
vulcanBMk2

Thanks Bill ... I find that TV news is also a guilty perveyor of these rather mawkish patheticstatements / headlines ...

DonBrown1943

Bill: AMEN!

Bill

Hello  Vulcan.

Yes! I agree and so tend to switch off on the TV too. However, this does not mean that I'm cut off altogether from things that are interesting as people tell me when  they have seen and heard things that are genuinely objective and informative, then I use things like TV catchup and the internet to find out what is happening.

There is another aspect to the 'news' as portrayed in the media that puts me off and that is its parochial nature, as if the only worthwhile news is that relating to our own country. For this reason, I quite like certain monthly magazines that take a more considered view of the 'world news', collecting several differing opinions to contrast and compare. This way the news seems to be more balanced in its presentation and is not dominated by the opinions favoured by those who happen to own the communications media.

Oh! And thanks Vulcan for raising this in a post where it gives us a chance to air our own views on  the subject.

Best wishes

Bill    

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ReneeWilliamson

I think I know the exact feeling you might be having about cancer. I have lost a family member due to cancer. And my sister is a cancer survivor. she was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and was at stage3. Due to her bad health problem, the oncologist at the ;radiation oncology in New York suggested us with some ;important source to go for the combination treatment of chemotherapy along with radiation therapy. She has recovered from very well now and is a cancer free person.

iMacG5

Hey guys, I didn't read this until today.  I'm not even sure what to say but I do know this:  It is what it is.  And, for the most part, I'm not sure there's any media that know anything about what we've gone through, where we're going and how we'll get there.  We're all learning as we go through it.  We're different from each other and some things will work for one and not the other.  I think the media gets too involved in too many things they know nothing about.

Thanks for the reading.

Mike

Mrs.A

Media = Fake News