Headband Hack: Secure Ileostomy Bag with Style!

Replies
Views
garysatnav

I have started wearing a headband like a garter on my thigh and tuck the clip of my ileostomy bag underneath it, and this does a very good job of holding it where I want it.

Mrs.A

Interesting. I didn't realize that illo bags were so long.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,463 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NotDeadYet

I'm a girl, so leggings work. But I have a male friend who wears undies that are a cross between Y-fronts and boxers. I think those would be my choice if I were a guy and wanted to "slim down" my colostomy bag.

Primeboy

Yes, some ileo bags are really long. I discovered a way to solve the problem inexpensively. Now I can continue to enjoy my summertime golfing in short pants. Check this out:

PB

mild_mannered_super_hero

Necessity... the mother of invention, or as the U.S. Army says, adapt, improvise and overcome.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
judianna

What a clever idea....good on ya!

bigal1579

For the headband idea, I would worry that if I stretch the wrong way, something has to give, and it could be the seal if the headband is too secure.

Check out ostomysecrets.com for some great options they have - wraps and underwear with a flap to hold the pouch.

I sometimes do a double underwear approach. It works great in the locker room when changing and keeps the pouch in place. I wear briefs (my preferred type of underwear), where the waistband is just below my pouch. Then I wear boxers over that, with the waistband just over the pouch. Everything stays secure (I do this when playing tennis), and when changing into golf shorts, no one is any the wiser that I have a pouch on.

vikinga

Ditto on that concern about things getting pulled the wrong way. Have you tried any of the newer pouches that fold up and tuck into themselves? The one shown in the picture with the elastic band is a urostomy bag and would not work well for an ileostomy when you have thicker output.

almelia

I like this idea very much.... I was tucking the clip into briefs worn below my pouch but it still annoys me there.

I do wear 'wraps' for bed. But in summer when I just don't want things moving around the headband makes sense... Also... going to try it this week as I am having a hip replacement on the opposite side next week and at the moment have no idea what dressings etc will be in place as they are going in 'from behind'.

And yes.... my ileo pouch does hang that low when I wear a maxi pouch. (I am only 4'10 though!!!)