Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
The Largest Online Ostomy Community
with 16,301 Members
Watch MeetAnOstoMate Video
Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:36 am

Can you ride roller-coasters and lift weights after ostemy surgery 

Meet the 2014 Great Comebacks Recipients
Can I still wear the same clothing after ostomy surgery?...
Living with an Ostomy: Feeling Fashionable
Living with an Ostomy: Diet and Digestion
Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:08 am

Is it OK to bowl with a 16 lb ball

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:21 am

Rider1000rr,

I would say it depends on how long ago you had/will have surgery.  Your doctor will give you weight an lifting restrictions immediately after surgery as to prevent hernias.  After you heal and slowly build up your strength, you should be able to do all the activities you asked about.

I've had an ileostomy for almost 22 years now and I bowl with a 14lb ball, can dead lift 200lbs and of course have ridden many rollercoasters since then.  But it took time.  The first 2 months after surgery, I took it easy and slowly worked up to getting stronger and being able to lift heavier items.  After about 6 months, I was doing pretty much everything I used to do normally and at the time, I worked for retail and it required lifting of at least 50lbs.  But I did it safely.

But everyone's experience will be unique.  I'm sure other ostomates will chime in with their own experiences.

Bain

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:57 pm

Bain thanks for your answer. I am averaging 213 this year. I am looking to take a year off from bowling. Is it reasonable to expect to bowl as good after surgery?

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:54 pm

Rider1000rr,

You're very welcome and absolutely reasonable.  I honestly don't think you'll have to take a year off.  Like I said, build up to it.  Don't over exert yourself.  It will come back to you like water off a ducks back.  I don't let anything stop me.  You can see I ride a Yamaha R-1 and currently I run 3 miles a day.  I don't like being told I can't do something.  You will endure.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Bain

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:34 pm

I have a 1000rr and a 929rr. I haven't rode in a while.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 am

Rider1000rr,

I'm guessing Honda's?  Nice bikes.  How come you haven't ridden in a while?  Have you had your surgery yet or is it pending?  And what type of ostomy do you/will you have?

Before my surgery, I would ride as often as I could.  Most of the time it took my mind off of having to run to the bathroom everytime I turned around because as you know, you have to be more aware of your surroundings than the average driver.  That, and the adrenaline rush that comes with riding a sport bike.  I had my surgery in October so I wouldn't miss riding but by the time spring came around, I was right back at it.

I recently picked up a GoPro and plan to do some motovlogging and some instructional videos about changing/draining my bag.  I'll post a link as soon as I start.  I'll send you an email through the site here in case you have more questions.

Bain

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:53 am

Rider,
The most important thing to do is to let yourself heal!! And i mean fully heal!! After that you can do pretty much anything you want. I can tell you i have had many surgeries and i could still feel discomfort almost up to a year when trying to over do it or when i sat up. Also, while you are healing it helps to wear some type of elastic waist band around your stomach. "Kind of like a large Ace bandage" Not only does that help the stability, it will help keep a low profile. Also, coughing and sneezing!!! "hold your stomach during" Those will hurt you worse than anything!!
I ride my bike all the time, " i even raced motocross for a while after" I still lift pretty heavy but not like i did. Ive blown my stomach open twice now on the bench press but that was up near 300 pounds so normal lifting after you heal should be fine. Wear a belt, and breathe good. I too still bowl with a 16lb ball and crank it quite a bit but that will be easy for you after you heal. FYI many pro's have switched to 14 and 15 lb balls anyway. Less splits and better pin action!! Things like roller coasters are not even an issue. You wont even know you have it on. I am on coasters as much as i can!! Smile
hope this helps!

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi NJ Bain. I am a Honda guy. I have had some close calls on my bikes. The risk does not out way the reward. I guess I am getting old now. I use to not think about it. I get in my si civic now when I get that rush. I am thinking aboUT putting a tag on my z06.  No I have not had my surgery yet. I have heard so many horror stories about getting a illeostomy. I am not mentally prepared. I was feeling like my life is over. I am just getting ready to turn 50.  A friend of mine that is a nurse suggested I get in a support group. She thinks I will help me mentally.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi NYBLUEYE nice bike. Thanks for the tips. I have several new 15 lb bowling balls. Mentally how long did it take you to accept the change with you body?

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:46 pm

My biggest fear is getting on a coaster and the bag or appliance coming loose. I rode intimidator 305 at kings dominion in 2015 with my son. I have a need for speed. I like anything that is fast and turns you upside down. 

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:30 pm

Rider1000rr,

That would actually be kind of funny....lol....  But highly unlikely.  It takes a lot to get the bag to come off.  Just make sure it's empty before you do anything like that.  Depending on if you go with a 1 piece drainable bag or a 2 piece, the wafer that adheres to your skin is heat activated.  And it has tape that goes around the flange to anchor it down.  Or you could go like NYBLUEYE says and use an ace bandage.

I always thought if I were mugged or held up, I'd some how find a way to open the bag and blind my assailant with the contents since it's still pretty acidic....lol

There are several videos on YouTube about changing and draining bags.  You can always contact the manufactures that make the bags and get some free samples so you can put one on to see how strong the seal is.

And 50 is the new 40.  The other thing I would suggest is to be confident.  Don't let the bag define you.  Own it.  It will be a part of you.  Oh, and stay hydrated.

Bain

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:53 pm

Bain.                                                                                                                Have you ever had a leak? I heard that it burns the skin. On average how many times do you empty your appliance daily?  How did you become so confident with the situation? I am normally a very confident person. I have been thinking about not having the surgery and enjoying what little life I have left. Without surgery I may live 2 to 3 more years. 

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:50 pm

NY BLUEYE Are you talking about a weight lifting belt or a hernia belt?

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks.  That's my new CBR 650. I love it.  Super fast but not crazy like the 1000. Getting too old for that  Smile 

I can tell you that after surgery you will feel so much better that you will accept it quickly. It's understandable to over think it now. I think we all did. Your pouch will not come off.  Like Bain said that's a 1 in a million situation. Your clothes hold all that in and the flange is strong.  You can always get a sample now and wear it.  I did that for a week before surgery.  You will know exactly what it feels like before hand.  

The belt I wear is just a thin 6" wide elastic waist band like a skin tone maternity belt.  It's good for privacy too. Same material as an ace bandage but 1 piece. Just put it on like a shirt. 

Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.