Waterproofing tips for showering with a colostomy

Replies
Views
iMacG5

Still experimenting, I had a left over pouch from my original loop colostomy. It’s big; fits a 2-1/4” (57 mm) flange. I presently use a pouch that fits a 1-3/4” (45mm) flange. I was able to fit my entire pouch into the larger one, attach a piece of tape about 5 inches long across the top of the bigger pouch and secure it with the regular appliance belt. It worked! My regular pouch was kept dry by the larger one. If this doesn’t make sense, let me know and I’ll try to write in an understandable format.
Hope this encourages more experimenting for others.
Mike

Bill

Hello Mike.

Thanks for the post. I don't need this sort of thing for myself because I irrigate so do not have any output during the day, which means I can shower without any protection. However, my reply to your post in more to express my appreciation for your experimentation.

When someone mentions a problem they are having, I like to experiment with trying to find a solution even if I don't really need to. I have a whole collection of odd devices and gadgets that I've tried over the years. Some work better than others but I've come to the conclusion that many of these things would need to be custom-made to fit the individual as I often need to tweek a prototype several times before it 'fits'.

I would encourage everyone to have a go at experimenting for themselves with almost anything that is posing them a problem. It's great fun once you get into the mindset of DIY, rather than relying entirely on manufacturers to invent stuff for us.

Best wishes

Bill   

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,318 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Thanks, Bill, for your report and, especially, your support for all us folks needing some assistance.  Going through this stuff alone could be too much to bear and one might just give up.  Knowing there are folks like you experimenting and willing to accept other's challenges has to be comforting.  We can share our laboratory in cyberspace.

Sincerely,

Mike

Mrs.A

Sounds like you found a way to keep your appliance dry when you're in the shower. I like when an idea works out, especially if it's one that I didn't have to go purchase anything extra. Using things we may already have lying around the house is great! I really don't pay my pouch any mind when I'm in the shower, other than remembering not to wash it directly. When I shower with my pouch, it is usually a quick shower rather than a longer, more detailed shower where I can stand in the stream of water for as long as I want.

LadyHope

Hi everyone, I read a great idea in one of the ostomy magazines and will pass it on to you. I use an inexpensive sandwich baggie and some waterproof tape to keep my pouch dry.

The size pouch that I use is large because I have an ileostomy. Here are three simple steps to keep your pouch fairly dry during a shower. Step one: I roll the pouch 1/3 and 1/3 and use a piece of tape to secure it. Step two: I use a very inexpensive sandwich baggie, the one that our moms may have used when making lunch years ago. I purchase about 100 for around $1.25. I tuck my pouch inside. Step three: I tape around the edges of the baggie to keep water from getting to my pouch; a makeshift raincoat for my ostomy pouch. I can stay in the shower for a fairly long time. Hope this helps. As for taking a bath, I only fill the tub up to about 1/3. I do not feel comfortable with my wafer submerged in the water for a long period of time. I feel it compromises the product, although many of my friends disagree with me. Have a great day! Sincerely, LH

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
iMacG5

Hey Lady, thanks for your input.  I guess when folks tune in to our writings they can glean what they want, do their own improvising, share with their WOCN and be way better off.  Maybe the best part is knowing there's so much help here.

Continue to stay dry,

Mike