Flying with a Colostomy: Security & In-Flight Concerns?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
survivor48

I have a friend who will soon be flying from TN to N.C. and she was given two cards, one that is blue that said Urgent use of bathroom....guess that is for emergencies and a white one that she is to show to the scanners and they are supposed to take me to a private room to be "pat down". Has anyone else flown recently and received these cards and do they work when needed?

She is also scared of "blowing up" in flight which I doubt will happen but has anyone traveled recently and if so have you experienced any problems either with security or in-flight problems?

I have had my colostomy for 4 years but have not flown in that time and she has not had hers a year yet and is new to this.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,107 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

LadyHope

Good morning Survivor48, great post! I just returned from Memphis a month ago and flew there. Since surgery, I have flown several times and so far, have had no real issues. I have an ileostomy so I do need to empty my pouch a bit more often. What I usually do while waiting in the security line is tell one of the officers that I wear an appliance. I am very forthcoming at the airport and even offer to show them if they have doubt. I really do not care who hears me talk about it in the airport. When I am traveling/flying mostly, I do not eat any huge meals that morning. I am a breakfast eater so I keep it light so my output is minimal. I also empty my pouch prior to boarding the plane. I have not had any issues with ballooning which was a fear of mine too. I used to think the pouch would burst off as the plane took off. I do use a pouch with a filter so gas can escape, keeping the pouch as flat as possible. Be prepared when flying too. Remember not to check your luggage with your extra products....place them in your carry-on luggage. You want product available in case of an emergency. Also, I pack a change of clothing in my carry-on as well. Just in case I need to change... you understand. Enjoy your trip! Flying is very doable with an ostomy. Take care. Sincerely, LadyHope

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
NJ Bain

Survivor48,

Your friend will be fine. I don't know what kind of ostomy your friend has but TN to NC is an up and down flight, that maybe will be an hour and a half flight tops. Just tell her to use the bathroom before she gets on the plane. I've never heard of the cards before.

It's not a bad idea to have a change of clothes and 1 or 2 precut pouches or 2 piece or whatever she uses, as well as some wet wipes in her carry-on.

I have an ileostomy and I travel all the time. Here is what your friend can expect and her options.

You can opt to have a private screening first and foremost. You just tell the TSA agent that looks at your ID/passport and boarding pass that you prefer a private screening. I personally don't think that's necessary. But for peace of mind and if you're more comfortable with that, they will oblige.

The new scanners will pick up the ostomy and what usually happens is a TSA agent will take you aside, you tell them you have an ostomy. They will then take you aside, ask you to rub both palms on the ostomy over your shirt or blouse. They will then take a flat sample swab, rub it on both palms and then they put the sample in their analyzer. The analyzer will not detect a threat and you will be on your way.

Smaller airports still only have metal detectors and you won't even have to worry. I myself signed up for TSA Precheck. It only costs about $140, but I do that because I travel frequently and most of the time, you go through the metal detector instead of a scanner. And depending on how long the flight is, I don't eat anything until about an hour before I get on a plane, if at all. This way I know my ostomy won't have output for about 4 hours or so. I've had some gas expand the bag a tiny bit but it's nothing.

I hope this helps your friend in some way. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Bain

becrhomat

I recently flew from Toronto to Nashville and had no problems. I have those cards but didn't have to use them. I was concerned with blowing up but it didn't happen.

CopInDixie

I have flown a dozen times since my ostomy surgery in 1990. Most recently was a flight to Hawaii a couple years ago. I have never had a problem during the scanning process, and I assume they have seen millions of people with ostomies in the scanner. The flight to Hawaii got a little sketchy when one of the bathrooms went out of service, but it all worked out as it always does. For the comfort of others, I fly with Axe deodorant in my carry-on bag, and give a quick spray in the bathroom when I'm done.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Marilyn Flowers

I have been an ostomate for more than 50 years and have visited all continents and 38 countries. And yes, I have done a bit of flying. If I'm chosen for a pat down, I tell them I have an ostomy appliance and point to the location. When this has happened, they look me in the eye and let me pass or have me place my hands over the ostomy. I have a card explaining the situation in several languages that I keep with my passport. However, in the US in the last few years, you have to take everything out of your pockets, so I can't hand them the paper when I've taken it out of the passport and placed it in my pocket. My ostomy is NOT the reason I choose to fly as little as possible in recent years!

paulaAZ

I just returned this past Sunday from an overseas flight to Spain ... your friend will have no issues. I have an ileostomy. I emptied in the restroom on the plane quite a few times and what I found very helpful was to take a bottle of water with me (small one like you can get on the plane or as small as you have) and that way if there is any "residue" in the toilet after flushing you can add some water and flush again. Of course you can also use your hands and take water from the faucet to the toilet since the darned restroom is so small LOL.

But your friend will have no issues -- ostomy bags do not inflate on a plane so there is no worry about that at all.

As far as security -- I had a real "go getter" in Atlanta and when I told her I had an ostomy (of course it showed up on the scanner) she took that opportunity to do a complete pat down, which is fine -- I had plenty of time for my flight. Usually they will just have you rub the outside of your clothes over your ostomy bag and then do the residual gunpowder test on your hand or something along those lines.

I have found in my travels though (and I have flown a lot in the time since getting my ileostomy in 2015) that if you go through the walk-through scanner nothing usually shows up -- I do not even mention having an ostomy when I am going through that. But with the body scanner that you stand and hold your arms up, it will pick up the bag.

But bottom line -- no issues at all with traveling. Tell your friend to get on the plane and have a great flight and great time!

Paula

Freebyrd

I fly about every three months or so. I just tell TSA, after I have gone through the scanner, that I have an ostomy. They pat me down a little over my clothes and sometimes check my hands for residue. I've tried telling them before I go through the scanner but it does not make a difference. Occasionally a TSA agent goes a little overboard but usually they are all familiar with someone with an ostomy. I carry a precut pouch and extra clip in my carry-on.

Teramis

I've heard of those travel cards before but haven't seen them. I think they would be handy to have. Where do you get them from? Are they something you can download online and print out?

GraphX12

Hi Paula,

I'm rather tall, so even before my surgery, I have tried to steer clear of plane restrooms. A couple of years ago, we flew to Spain to visit our daughter. No issues on the flight over - can you believe not having to empty for that long?! Coming home, I unwisely resisted the use of the restroom and "tried to gut it out". Atlanta customs was my downfall since a number of planes landed at the same time, and as the people kept lining up, the customs agents mysteriously kept disappearing. We spent 1 1/2 hours in line! By the time we went back through security, I was ready to burst. Since customs took so long, we nearly missed our connecting flight as I "tried" to run with a full bag to the restroom. My wife had to hold up the plane. No, I didn't burst, but came as close as possible (it amazes me how durable those bags are). I can look back now and laugh :-) but at the time, it was quite stressful.

Moral is, don't try to hold it!

In my experiences - no security issues, no ballooning, ALWAYS carry my supplies with me (they can lose my luggage but not my supplies!), carry a letter from my doctor explaining my needs. But those airline seats!!!

And thanks for the water bottle tip, Paula!

Immarsh

Hi to all the traveling ostomates out there...

I'm Marsha, and I have had my ostomy for more than 50 years. My first flight was for my honeymoon, about 2 years after my surgery. I didn't fly again for years, but since my divorce 20+ years ago, I've flown the world.....long flights and short, commercial and 4 seaters, with no bathroom on board. My love of travel outweighs any concerns I might have, but being prepared is the most important. Although I pack supplies in my carry-on luggage, that's usually overhead, and is enough for my entire trip. So I make sure I put a few products (pouches, wafers, wipes, tape) in a zip lock bag, to keep with my purse (tote bag). I've never needed to change on or between flights, and I've been to Australia, Japan, China, South Africa, as well as all over Europe, Mexico, and the US. I try not to eat heavy or fibrous foods before a flight, and although I do eat on board, I've never had a problem with "blowing up/breaking a seal". Restrooms are readily available on board, and I make sure to wear loose clothes and underwear, and I empty more often than I really need to. Just checking. I used to worry about scanning, but with all my travels, have only been questioned once. I was asked if I could pull my pants up higher. When I told them I couldn't, they let it go. I've been "patted down" a few times, but not overtly for my ostomy. I think my carry-on full of medications, syringes (I'm diabetic), and the CPAP machine I use was enough reason for that. As the Aussies say...no worries. Enjoy your travels.

Dee H

Hi, I have a colostomy, and I have flown a couple of times with my colostomy. I just showed the security my card before they patted me down. But I don't think you have to. Most of the scanners have been educated about people with ostomies having to wear a bag under their clothes. And as for using an airplane restroom, it's difficult to use an airplane bathroom, even for people without ostomies. They are so small and cramped, and it's hard to stand still in an airplane restroom. I ate as little as possible the day before and of my flight because I was having anxiety about the thought of having to change my colostomy bag on an airplane. I guess those of you who are drainers have the same fear. But don't let your ostomy keep you from traveling by plane if you have to. Life is too short.

Sonshyne58CO

I have flown recently and had the blue card printed and ready to give TSA. I handed the agent my card and she asked what it was. I had to explain to her. That's what I had hoped having the card would avoid. She had me use the back of my hand and then she used the wand to check for explosive powder, I guess. It all seemed a bit silly, but I just complied.

The others' advice is correct. Take your supplies in your carry-on. Have another set of clothing. Watch what you eat. Plan ahead and give yourself some time before you have to board. Empty your bag when you can.

It's a breeze to travel... really.

Silveradokid

Hi LadyHope! Where might I find a pouch with a filter? Many thanks - Steve.

Paleoartist

I have flown internationally several times since I've had my colostomy and have never had any real issues. My experience has been pretty much as described above as far as the small pat down residue check. The only aggravation I've experienced was having my scissors confiscated in Kyrgyzstan. Apparently they don't follow the same rules as the TSA.

NJ Bain

Steve,

You can find pouches with filters wherever they sell ostomy supplies.   I myself and others on the site in the US go through Edgepark.

Personally, I'd rather burp the pouch as opposed to having the filter.   I've read posts here where some members with the filter experience issues with waste matter saturating the filter and being more of a hindrance than help.   But everyone's experience is different.   Hope this helps.

Bain

Silveradokid

Hi Bain. Thank you so much!

LadyHope

I use Coloplast pouches with a filter. NJBain is correct, if your output is thin and watery, the filter will become wet and stop working. Also, over time the filter may absorb the odor and begin to smell. What helps is using a pouch deodorant and changing the pouch every day or every other if you have supplies. Take care and safe travels. Sincerely, LH

Silveradokid

Thank you, LadyHope!

paulaAZ

GraphX12 -- You are more than welcome about the water bottle tip. It is a lifesaver in many instances. It seems you had the same experience in Atlanta that I did ... and I too missed my connecting flight. You would think the busiest airport in the nation would have a better system for customs -- they do not even have a TSA precheck when you are coming in from overseas -- have no idea if it is just domestic flights. But I just took my time and got booked on a later flight (flight in from Barcelona was late leaving). I am too darned old to be running through airports. And yes, I take my supplies on board with me -- I can buy anything else very easily in another country -- am not going to hassle with trying to buy supplies overseas. However -- I am a very fortunate ileostomate because I change my appliance about once a week -- found the perfect combination of supplies quite early on.

Keep on traveling -- the world has too much to see to stay at home because you have a bag!

Paula

paulaAZ

Steve ... You can also purchase the Osto-EZ-Vent and attach them to your bag. I have used them in the past but I have not had any gas issues for a long time so I do not use them any longer. I would order them with my normal order from Edgepark. 

Paula

LadyHope

Hi Steve, which brand pouches do you currently use? Most have an option of a filter or non-filter. You may want to ask your supplier. I use Coloplast with a filter and they work well. Good luck to you. Sincerely, LH

almelia

Just a question on the same lines as above.. I am travelling next week from Newcastle to London and then on from UK to Cincinnati - I have an ileo and had no problems travelling to Egypt last year - (other than an overly enthusiastic lady officer in Egypt who was convinced I had a concealed money belt. I brazened it out and lifted my t-shirt to show her (and the rest of the queue!) I was quickly on my way!)

But, back to my question - any problems carrying the little curved round-ended scissors on flights in the USA? I do use pre-cut pouches, but I use the scissors to cut seals to shape. If it is a problem, I shall just prepare a few in advance and hope I don't need them!

Ali

paulaAZ

Amelia ... I would err on the side of caution, if I were you and precut some of the seals and pack the scissors in your carry-on baggage. It will all depend on the TSA agents at security as to whether you can get them through security ... but as a rule no scissors are allowed. You could get verified information from your physician, etc. to show TSA but I personally would not go through all that trouble for a pair of scissors.

Hope this helps.

Paula

almelia

Thanks Paula! I shall just do that... I was just worried that sometimes the seals seem to almost 'melt' with temperature changes, etc. But I'm sure if I get stuck anywhere, I could just tear them and mold them!

paulaAZ

Almelia ... Just be sure and take your seals on board with you in your carry-on, or in your purse for that matter. That way there should be no melting issues. I usually pack my supplies in my carry-on, that way I have no concerns at all about not having them with me. My next trip in August is quite short so I probably will only take one change in my purse and not even have a carry-on (non-stop flight from Phoenix to New York City). But in December I will be flying to London -- only there 5 days and then returning but will take my supplies in my carry-on or perhaps downsize to my purse in that regard, too ... haven't decided yet. I also have an ileo but am fortunate in that I only change my appliance every 7 to 10 days.

Paula

almelia

Wow... 7 to 10 days! I'm lucky if I get 3 days - usually only 2, but I can eat through seals and wafers! Have a great trip to London!

paulaAZ

I was going every 3 days until I switched to Perfect Choice barrier rings and then everything just fell into place. I have been very, very fortunate. You have a great trip to the U.S., too -- I enjoy going to London -- already have a ticket for Wicked at the Apollo Victoria and doing a studio tour of Harry Potter ... but the main thing is London during the Christmas season ... love it!

Jodyskip

I have had my urostomy for 10 months, post bladder cancer. I just traveled to Cancun from Detroit. I decided not to say anything at checkpoints with TSA. I also have a port in my chest that was used for chemo. I breezed through check-in, no one questioned me. I did carry that TSA card in case I would need to empty my bag of urine during the flight. The trip went smoothly. I did use carry-on for extra clothes and ostomy bags... didn't have any problems!

paulaAZ

That is great Jody. I travel quite a bit, too, and have not really had much of an issue through TSA. If I go through the walk-through scanner, I do not even mention my ileostomy bag ... but the one where you stand and put your hands over your head, that one will pick it up each and every time, so I alert them to the fact I have an ostomy bag. I usually get the pat down, fingers over outside of clothing, and gunpowder residue test, etc. but that is it. I have only had one TSA agent that seemed to not really understand what an ostomy bag was, but no big deal in the long run.

Glad everything went so smoothly! Travel on!

Paula