Prayers Needed for Colostomy Reconnection & Cardiologist Release

Replies
Views
MissRubydoux

I had an emergency colostomy in December for diverticulitis that had perforated my bowel wall. The surgeon found that everything inside was stuck to other structures with adhesions from seven endometriosis surgeries years ago. Diverticula from one end to the other. Every time I see him he goes into it about how I am one of the worst cases he's ever seen. I also developed sepsis and was in ICU three days. Now I am scheduled for reconnection surgery in early June and he just mentioned that he's bringing a urologist into the mix to insert stents so he can identify the ureters and that news has sent my anxiety soaring! I was in the hospital 19 days from Nov-Jan, sick as a dead dog and am terrified of something going wrong and ending up worse off this next go around.

I lost about a third of my hair from the sepsis, had neuropathy EVERYWHERE. Even my hair (what's left) hurt. Could hardly stand to touch myself anywhere but that's under control with gabapentin. I just found this site and have been devouring the information. Nobody told me much when this happened. I learned how to use all the various parts of the various items in a pouching system from YouTube. SO great how the medical profession is so quick to cut you and leave you in a compromised state with NO information to deal with it. I've learned more from this site this morning than I did with a zillion health care "professionals". They need to do a much better job at educating and supporting people like us.

Bill

Hello MissRubydoux. Welcome to this site and I'm pleased you have found some usefull stuff to read. So sorry to hear about all you problems but in particular that you did not get a proper briefing from the medical profession about what it was all about.

I don't know about 'them educating us' - it seems to me that we need to be educating them. It's a pity there isn't the same sort of review process for them and their work as there is with stuff we buy on the internet. Then  we could read both the good and the bad reviews to get a picture of what we are in store for .  

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,356 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hi MissRubydoux,

Sounds like you should be making a list of questions that the doctor needs to answer before your next step. Best wishes to you!

violeta

Hi Miss Rubydoux!

Please forgive the late reaction - I am going through a very difficult time.

How are you? Did you undergo stoma closure? My stoma was supposed to be temporary (3-4 months) and it's been over 18 months. I have chronic constipation due to narcotics to treat Arachnoiditis symptoms. So, I am too scared of a new perforation caused by fecalomas if I undergo stoma closure. I also lost a lot of hair (trauma reaction?) after colostomy. Wishing you all the best... fingers crossed.