Deodorant and the VA

Replies
Views
stevos64

Does anyone get their supplies from the VA? If so, do you get deodorant drops from them and what type? My Minneapolis VA claims to only be able to get Ostofresh and it just doesn't work very well, even using it full strength each time. Any help would be appreciated! Also, last year someone posted a link to get some free samples of ostomy deodorant which I did and loved. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the brand was! I believe the company was located in Ohio.

Stevo

Teramis

I get my supplies from the VA, but haven't yet asked for deodorant drops. I do know, though, that they will only provide to you what is already listed in their formulary. I assume that formulary is national, but maybe there are regional variations (depending on purchasing contract variations between different VA regions). I've also been told that if there is something I want that is not listed on the formulary, it is possible to request it - there is a formal process a medical practitioner there can go through, to request that something be added so they can order it for patients. I don't know the details but my urologist was trying to get a medication added for me (don't know yet how that has worked out). In any case, that might be an alternative if your primary care provider or the wound care/ostomy care nurse can be enlisted on your behalf.

Good luck, fellow vet! :)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

brane46

I have many, many packs of Adapt Lubricating Deodorant from Hollister that I do not use and would be happy to send them to you if there was a way to do it. This site will not let me give you any of my information.

Fraidy Cat

Hi Stevo,

Sorry, I don't know about the VA supplying deodorant drops, but I personally had to improvise because the drops were so expensive and not covered by Medicare. Someone suggested using a dash of mouthwash and a few spearmint Tic-Tac mints in the bag, and I found it worked surprisingly well!!

drfields24

Hello, I'm Wisconsin and I go to the VA and I get all my supplies for free. They changed two things for me. The wipes that are used to remove the bag when it's time to change were not working, so I requested the spray, which was not on the formulary. I called the stoma nurse when I need it. Same thing with the deodorant. The Osteo Fresh, which you put 4-12 drops of, wasn't working well, so they switched me to the Adapt. It coats the bag way better. I also use the Bravo deodorant by Coloplast. It smells wonderful and it keeps my bag smelling clean. Now that I buy it myself, it's not expensive. I'm so grateful that I don't have to pay for my supplies.

gra

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister