Permanent Ileostomy

Replies
Views
Gary w

Hello all, I have had a permanent ileostomy for 3 years now and was wondering if there is any product out there that allows us to go bagless like at the beach or something. Like a plug? Thanks in advance for your knowledge and comments.

adamnyankee

Gary, unfortunately there is no product that allows for an ileostomate to go without protection, as the output from the small intestine is continuous. There is, however, a product called a stoma cap which is smaller than a bag, and will serve the purpose for a limited amount of time. Many ileostomates will tell you to just use your usual gear, as swimming will not damage nor remove the bag.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Garry.

I wear plugs everyday but then I irrigate so do not expect much or any output. I'm not sure how a plug would cope with the more liquified stools from an ileostomy. I suspect that it would not work that well but we never know these things until someone gives it a go. I would suggest contacting the manufacturers and ask for samples, then try them. I use Coloplast but I'm sure there will be others out there. Also, the is an advertisement on the TV at the moment in the UK for a new shape of tampax, which looks as if it would act in the same way as a plug as it is similar in shape to the plugs I use. The only problem is that it is likely to just have a piece of string to pull it out, whereas the Coloplast plugs come complete with a sticking plaster shield that has a built in deodoriser.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on with whatever your try. 

Best wishes

Bill

NotDeadYet

Tampax, Bill? Really? That sounds like a "guy" idea. Maybe you don't realize how many girls "lose" their Tampax inside themselves.

And girls are raised into knowing about Toxic Shock Syndrome, where polyester-based tampons create a sudden potassium depletion that causes diarrhea and vomiting and fever and possibly death, and how would Gary even know about that? No offense, but if he's using or choosing a tampon for a stoma I'll guarantee it that the fine print goes unread. . .

I liked one of our ostomate's condom idea better.

Gary, my advice would be to play with fasting, know your output times, and play on the beach accordingly.

I'm working up the courage to do it myself!

Bill

Hello NotDeadYet. 

Thanks for the reminder about Tampax and Toxic Shock Syndrome. I often think that all my suggestive posts should come with a stark warning that they can go horribly wrong at times. That's why I keep experimenting until the ideas become more practical (sometimes never).

One of the things I liked about the tampax design is they they do come with that bit of string to help with retrieval, whereas the one or two Coloplast plugs that have come adrift inside me are the devil's own job to get out. Fortunately, I invented a suitable gadget for when this sort of thing happened with my anal plugs (which had a piece of uncomfortable dangling fabric).The device consisted of the outer plastic tampax depositor, which I could poke up, to locate the offending plug. I would then use some extra long artery forceps to get a grip on it retrieve the plug. (This procedure should most definitely come with the gravest of warnings).

As for the condom concept. I found that it works much better with a seal around the plate, as the plain plastic tends to slip over the slippery mucus coming from the stoma and I ended up in the morning with the device not over the stoma at all. Just as well I had no output !!

Best wishes

Bill 

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister