Taekwondo with an ileostomy: Core strength concerns and risks?

Replies
Views
HungryHamster

Hi,

I did Taekwondo for nearly four years before I had my surgery. It was pretty much the only sport I've ever done that I've actually been alright at as well as really enjoying it. I was never big on sparring as I'm not an overly aggressive person, but my club did very little contact training anyway. My concern is that I loved Taekwondo but I am fully aware of how vital core strength is in general training (i.e. doing any sort of kick requires core strength).

Does anyone here with an ostomy do Taekwondo or any other martial arts comfortably? If you do, have you ever had any issues with pain or hernias? How long did you wait after your surgery before returning to martial arts? I have called my surgeon's office to see what he says as I forgot to ask him during my follow-up appointment and I'm currently waiting for his nurse to call me back with his answer.

I've been told that I should be fine to do most sports, but martial arts are more core focused than most other sports, so there seems to be far more of an opportunity to cause damage or something. I'm aware of protection things that I can wear if I want to do contact sports, but at the moment I'm more concerned about whether or not it's possible without ending up back in the hospital with a hernia or something like that.

Thanks,

Hamish.

NJ Bain

HH,

I found this older post in the forums. Thought it might be helpful. What kind of ostomy do you have?

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3109

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,458 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HungryHamster

Hi Bain,

Great to see that thread. It seems that people don't have too much of an issue and if I want to do any form of sparring I can just get a stoma guard.

I have an ileostomy and my physiotherapist has given me a daily exercise routine which involves light ab work. Even doing that, it feels quite odd sometimes. It isn't painful, but my core is (obviously) noticeably weaker than it was and occasionally I'll have to stop and reset due to what almost feels like my core buckling. Sort of like when your knee gives way. It's a bit hard to explain, but it feels like my core is tensed and flat, but then all of a sudden it feels like it relaxes around where the ileostomy is and my core ends up pushing out a bit, similar to when you exhale and your belly bulges out a bit. The physio has told me that this is normal after any abdominal surgery, but I feel as though it would hinder my performance if I can't keep my core tensed when I need to. My surgeon has given me the all-clear over the phone, but he hasn't physically seen me since the follow-up appointment after I was discharged from the hospital, so I'm waiting until I see the physio this Friday to get his opinion as well.

Thanks for the link, it was very helpful and reassuring to know that I don't have to give it up. I suppose most things can be done with a bit of time to heal.

Thanks,

Hamish

gyrfalcon271

Hi Hungry Hamster, just a quick reply - I did karate when younger and it's the sort of stuff one can practice alone. A stoma shield is good but they are in the US and mine cost me knocking on for 200 with import duties. One can also buy a defensive jock strap which covers the lower abdomen but not sure one could wear this and the shield - it may be possible. One can put the defensive jock strap which comes up to just below the navel over one's suit (karate suit). Be careful though in terms of the flange loosening especially with some of the warm-up exercises. Good luck with it! Stephen

kbd

Would recommend at least a 4" ostomy belt. I wear one pretty much whenever I leave the house and even at home when I'm going to be lifting anything. I think it would give some added security and help keep everything in place.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Nanny-ogg

I'm a bit late to this party, but I started TKD when I was 47 years old, 7 years after my ileostomy/full colectomy and got up to Cho Dan Bo (brown or black, red strip depending on affiliations). I trained for 6 years, with the last 2 full contact (with jackets). The only injury I ever got was a sprained ankle tripping over on the way onto the mats (yeah, yeah, I've heard them all ;-). Sadly, a heart attack and then major back surgery sort of slowed me down a bit.. I was heartbroken. My husband went on to get his 1st Dan and 2 weapons Grrr! I'm turning 70 next month and I would give a hell of a lot to get back and get my black. I do Amigurumi now instead....... Don't let anything get in your way. Put your belt knot above your stoma, tell your partners why (no need to go into details) and tell them not to hit you there. With your master's knowledge of course! All the best. X