Spanx for ileostomy bag?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the use of Spanx to support and conceal an ileostomy bag, and members share their experiences and tips.
pammer

Hi ladies,

This may be a silly question but I will ask it anyway. I have an important event coming up next month. I am round around my belly. I know a lot of women out there wear Spanx to help with fat. My question is, has anyone heard of a product that does the same thing but you can use it with a bag? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Pamer

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,088 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

vdahl

Hi Pamer,

I asked my doctor the same question. I have an ileostomy, so I'm not sure if it's true for all ostomies but...

There are a few wraps and whatnot actually made to fit the bag but she said I could wear Spanx or equivalent so long as it's not pressing on the stoma so much that output is totally restricted. Also, suggested that you don't have to wear it for an extremely long period of time.

I'd try a rehearsal of sorts... if you don't have any problems, go for it? No???

Enjoy your event... I'm sure you'll look amazing!

Vicki

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
LadyHope

Hi Pammer, I don't wear Spanx but I do wear support boyshorts underwear. They are amazing. They keep my pouch in place, come in a variety of fun colors, and are inexpensive. Walmart carries them or you may order them online. Although the recommendation for me is a size S, I buy them in a M or L. I found the S too snug. M is great with a sundress and the L I wear the majority of the time. There are companies out there who sell undergarments made for people with ostomies but I found the product too expensive and just okay. These items are more affordable for my budget....3.95 or 4.95 per item. Good luck and enjoy your event. I hope the boyshorts work for you. Take care. LH

vdahl

LadyHope is right... the boyshort underwear is wonderful! It keeps the pouch in place and there's no panty line. I have a variety of colors as well as support waist height. For day-to-day wear, I love the waist-high light support. I looked into the underwear specifically for ostomates and was blown away by the price.

I just thought you meant you were looking to wear a spandex bodysuit type.

Either way, enjoy!

SarahMaySmile

Hi Pammer. Just wanted to share my own experience with you. I have an ileostomy that sits fairly high compared with others I've seen. It can make clothing hard. I'm not comfortable tucking my bag into my pants because of the location. So... I went to Target in the maternity section and bought some belly bands. They're made for pregnant women for support and to keep pants up without having the button done. I wear a size 16 or 18, but I like to get the S/M size because it holds me in a little too. If I need more support for a certain outfit, I'll wear Spanx, but the band is way more comfortable. My pants go under the bag, then I put the band over and it just looks like I'm wearing a long tank under. I've worn them under dresses too. I hope you can find a solution that works well for you!!!!

If you want to look online... the brand at Target is BeBand.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
pammer

Hello, thank you very much for the tip. I will absolutely give it a try. Thanks again, Pammer

Immarsh

Hi Pammer,

I read your question, and the replies you received, and please forgive me....but they made me laugh. I'm 68 years old and have had my ileostomy since I was 15. Due to all the medication (steroids), up and down weight gains and losses, and then 3 separate abdominal surgeries, my trim teenage body became....chubby, lumpy, and bumpy, with a very well-defined "muffin top" that never went away. And the solution, given the times, was the old-fashioned "girdle". Obviously, that didn't do much for the muffin top, which was really a belly roll, even though I wasn't heavy. Gone for me were tucked-in shirts in pants and skirts. It was the end of shirtwaist dresses, thank goodness, and I was happy for the A-line and empire style. But I still looked for that smooth line and tried every lightweight "girdle" I could find, and even a "one-piece garment", but the bra didn't support the boobs, so I had to give that up. I finally settled on wearing....support panties....lighter than the proverbial "girdle". I was only in my 20's, and it was in the 1970s. I checked out Spanx when they came out, and if needed, I would have worn them. The fabric was much more flexible, and I knew that the flange on the wafer I use would protect the stoma from too much pressure. I've always worn tight-fitting bathing suits and never had a problem. I think, for each person, it's really trial and error. Best of luck to you.

Marsha

HarleyDoll

What is boyshort underwear?

BruceFan

I'm really interested in the specifics on the boy short underwear. I tried some from Target, but they didn't come up high enough. The top band hit right across my stoma - a common problem with undies other than the larger briefs. I have a drawer full of every size imaginable. I like the way the boy shorts feel and smooth things out. Just need them to come up higher. I am slim, 120 lbs. So, if anyone can give me a specific brand so I can look for the exact package, I'll give it a try.

I agree - Ostomy Secrets is ridiculous. Bought one pair on sale - still $24. Not going to build my wardrobe with those!

Tammy - AKA Bruce Fan!

Immarsh

Hi Harley Doll

Boy shorts are a relatively new cut, although they've been around for a number of years. They look like a "rectangle". They're lower on the hip, and come down around the leg, giving butt and belly coverage. I like the fit, but the ones I bought are too big around the waist and "roll down". Sigh.... Can't get it right.

catspaw

Is Boyshorts a brand, or just a style made by several companies?

Ewesful

I had to deal with the potential bulge at a couple of events. I wore pantyhose that worked perfectly and was sure to keep the bag as reduced as I could. Spanx is the same- just don't wear it for several hours at a time and be sure the elastic does not impair the vent and stoma.

SharronB

Hi Pammer.

I have tried to wear Spanx as well (round tummy syndrome). At times it's okay and other times it's a disaster. I use a Hollister 2-piece system for my colostomy.

As you know, the Spanx squishes everything, including output. What I do now when I have a special event is to take an Imodium a few hours before - THEN put on the Spanx.

I really don't like to take meds for diarrhea or constipation (I just believe they will run their own course in their own time), but in a case like this, I would have no problem popping back 1 or 2.

Hope this helped - enjoy your event :)

Sharron

Joy15

Hi Pammer.

I wear Jockey "Skimmies". They don't provide as much compression as Spanx but they do smooth everything out. I size up two sizes just to provide a little extra give. I get them from a Jockey Store or on Amazon. They run about 28 dollars but are totally worth it. My ileostomy is higher than most and I can pull these up to right below my bra. Best thing I have tried. Hope this helps. I had my first event last weekend - I was a little nervous, but I am proud of myself for getting out there again. All the best!

Joy

LadyHope

Hi everyone, the boyshorts that I wear I purchase from Walmart. They are high-waisted for me and I usually buy a size or two larger. You may purchase them online as well. The brand is Vassarette (sp) and they come in many different colors too. The price is very reasonable, $3.98. Please let me know what you think of the product. Good luck and take care. Sincerely, LH

Hanaleah

Hi Pammer:

I found this underwear at Target by Maidenform called Self Expressions. There are two different styles: boy shorts or thigh slimmer, but both are hi-waisted.

They are about $20.00. I have worn them for occasions and they work really well for me. In the past, I tried Jockey Sports for men and pregnancy belly bands. Neither worked for me. I also have underwear from Ostomy Secrets. I am not very big. The Maidenform works well for me. They are soft and comfortable and keep your abdomen flat. I still have output, but it is very light until I take the underwear off.

It looks like there are options here that I haven't tried, so I may.

Good luck, it is hard to get past your comfort zone the first time.

Pray for peace, Hana

mdq58

Here's my data point.

I've had a colostomy since 1976. My stomach sits right at my pants waistband. I use combative surplus so the flange protects my stoma. I rowed competitively for many years which meant I wore a unitard. My unitard covers my pouch. I found strenuous exercise or just the adrenaline from racing increases my stoma output. A full pouch and a tight fitting unitard do not mix. Not that I care that folks could see that I had an ostomy pouch, but it generally caused leakage which was a big problem. If the unitard covers your pouch I foresee the same problem. You could cut a slit and slide your pouch through the slit. My underwear waistband sits on the bottom edge of my faceplate underneath and below my pouch. It provides some extra stability.

I've always been active and keep fairly fit.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to send a note.

MikeQ

Angelicamarie

Hey Pammer, I used to wear Spanx before the ostomy. I tried it after my surgery. I myself wear Jockey high-waisted panties. They hold you in really well, but I have tested the water and wore Spanx with the panties. Nope, too tight. It caused a leak for me. I say no to Spanx, too much pressure on the ostomy... but it might work for another. Test it for yourself! Have a good one! Angelicamarie