Advertisement
ConvaTec - request sample

Spanx with Ileostomy bag?

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
16,492 Members
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:10 pm

Hi ladies,

This may be a silly question but I will ask it anyway.  I have a important event coming up next month.  I am round around my belly.  I know a lot of women out there wear spanx to help with fat.  My question is has anyone heard of a product that does the same thing but you can use it with a bag?  Any advise would be appreciated.  Thanks, Pamer

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:59 am

Hi Pamer,

I asked my doctor the same question. I have an ileostomy, so I'm not sure if it's true for all ostomies but...

There are a few wraps and whatnot actually made to fit the bag but she said I could wear spanx or equivilant so long as it's not pressing on the stoma so much that output is totally restricted. Also, suggested that you don't have to wear it for an extremely long period of time.

I'd try a rehearsal of sorts... if you don't have any problems, go for it? No???

Enjoy your event... I'm sure you'll look amazing!

Vicki

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:26 am

Hi Pammer, I don't wear Spanx but I do wear support boyshorts underwear.  They are amazing.  They keep my pouch in place, come in a variety of fun colors and are inexpensive.  Walmart carries them or you may order them on line.  Although the recommenation for me is a size S, I buy them in a M or L.  I found the S too snug.  M is great with a sundress and the L I wear the majority of the time.  There are companies out there who sell undergarments made for people with ostomies but I found the product too expensive and just okay.  These items are more affordable for my budget....$3.95 or 4.95 per item. Good luck and enjoy your event.  I hope the boyshorts work for you.  Take care.  LH

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:58 pm

LadyHope is right... the boyshort underwear is wonderful! It keeps the pouch in place and there's no panty line. I have a variety of colors as well as support & waiste height. For day-to-day wear I love the waist high light support. I looked into the underwear specifically for ostomates and was blown away by the price.

I just thought you meant you were looking to wear a spandex body-suit type.

Either way, Enjoy!

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:00 am

Hi Pammer. Just wanted to share my own experience with you. I have an ileostomy thay sits fairly high compared with others I've seen. It can make clothing hard. I'm not comfortable tucking my bag into my pants because of the location. So...i went to Target in the maternity section and bought some belly band. They're made for pregnant women for support and to keep pants up without having the button done. I wear a size 16 or 18, but I like to get the s/m size because it holds me in a little too. If I need more support for a certain outfit, I'll wear spanks, but the band is way more comfortable. My pants go under the bag, then i put the band over and it just looks like I'm wearing a long tank under. I've worn them under dresses too. I hope you can find a solution that works well for you!!!!

If you want to look online... the brand at Target is BeBand.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Hello, thank you very much for the tip.  I will absolutely give it a try.  Thanks again, Pammer

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Hi Pammer,

I read you question, and the replies you received, and please forgive me....but they made me laugh.   I'm 68 years old, and have my ileostomy since I was 15.    Due to all the medication ( steroids)  up and down weight gains and losses, and then 3 separate abdominal surgeries,  my trim teen aged body became....chubby, lumpy and bumpy , with a very well defined "muffin top", that never went away.   And the solution, given the times, with the old fashioned "girdle".   Obviously, that didn't do much for the muffin top, with was really a belly roll, even though I wasn't heavy.   Gone for me was, tucked in shirts in pants and skirts.   It was the end of shirtwaist dresses, thank goodness, and I was happy for the A line, and empire style.   But I still looked for that smooth line, and tried every light weight "girdle" I could, and even a "one piece garment" , but the bra didn't support the boobs, so had to give that up.    I finally settled on wearing....support panties....lighter than the proverbial "girdle".   I was only in my 20's, and it was in the 1970's.   I checked out spanx, when they came out, and if needed, I would have worn them.   The fabric was much more flexible,  and I knew that the flange on the wafer I use, would protect the stoma from too much pressure.  I've always worn tight fitting bathing suits, and never had a problem.   I think, for each person, it's really trial and error.    Best of luck to you.

Marsha

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:46 am

What is boyshort underwear?

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:50 am

I'm really interested in the specifics on the boy short underwear.  I tried some from Target, but they didn't come up high enough.  The top band hit right across my stoma - a common problem with undies other than the larger briefts.  I have a drawer full of every size immaginable.  I like the way the boy shorts feel and smooth things out.  Just need them to come up higher.  I am slim, 120 lbs.  So, if anyone can give me a specific brand so I can look for the exact package, I'll give it a try.

I agree - Ostomy Secrets is ridiculous.  Bought one pair on sale - still $24.  Not going to build my wardrobe with those!

Tammy - AKA Bruce Fan!

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi Harley Doll

Boy shorts are a relatively new cut, although they've been around for a number of years.   They look like a "rectangle".   They're lower on the  hip, and, come down around the leg, giving butt  & belly coverage.  I like the fit,  but the ones I bought are too big around the waiste, and "roll down".  Sigh....Can't get it right. 

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:36 pm

Is Boyshorts a brand, or just a style made by several companies?

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:26 pm

I had to deal with the potential bulge at a couple events.  I wore pattyhose that worked perfectly and was sure to keep the bag as reduced as I could.  Spanz is the same- just don't wear it for several hours at a time and be sure the elastic does not impair the vent and stoma 

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:42 pm

Hi Pammer

I have tried to wear spanx as well (round tummy syndrome).  At times its ok and other times its a disaster.  I use a Holister 2 piece system for my colostomy

As you know the spanx squishes everything, including out put.  What I do now when I have a special event is to take an immodiom a few hours before - THEN put on the spanx.

I really dont like to take meds for diahrea or constipation (I just believe they will run their own course in their own time) but in a case like this I would have no problem popping back 1 or 2.

Hope this helped - enjoy your event Smile

Sharron

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:12 am

Hi Pammer.

I wear Jockey "Skimmies". They don't provide as much compression as Spanx but they do smooth everything out.  I size up two sizes just to provide a little extra give.  I get them from a Jockey Store or on Amazon.  They run about $28 dollars but are totally worth it.  My ileostomy is higher than most and I can pull these up to right below my bra.  Best thing I have tried.  Hope this helps.   I had my first event last weekend - I was a little nervous, but I am proud of myself for getting out there again.  All the best!

Joy

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:06 am

Hi Everyone, The boyshorts that I wear I purchase from Walmart.  They are highwaisted for me and I usually buy a size or two larger. You may puchase them on line as well.  The brand is Vassarette (sp) and they come in many different colors too. The price is very reasonable, $3.98.  Please let me know what you think of the product.  Good luck and take care.  Sincerely, LH

Last edited by LadyHope on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.