Constant Dehydration: Seeking Solutions

Replies
Views
Hanaleah

Hi everyone,

I need a pep talk. I am dehydrated all of the time. I am constantly drinking. I drink coconut milk, which is supposed to be the most hydrating, cranberry juice, water, mineral water, tea, and anything else you can probably think of drinking. Canned items. The amount of fluid that goes in and has to exit, which keeps me getting up and down all night. I tried using salt. I eat Italian ices. I put lotion on my skin and the peak still stays there.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Pray for peace, Hana

NJ Bain

Hanaleah,

There is a point you may come to where you are drinking too many liquids and that can dehydrate you as well. See the following link for hydration.

https://bodyecology.com/articles/dehydrated.php

I would suggest Gatorade or Pedialyte. They make single packs for adults now so you don't have to tote around the teddy bear labeled clear bottle.

It contains high amounts of sodium and potassium so be careful if you have kidney problems or high blood pressure. They seemed to have marketed the single packs now to help adults with hangovers. Just my 2 cents.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,372 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hanaleah

Thank you for getting back to me so soon. You are really wonderful about it and I appreciate you because you have helped me so much.

I do drink Pedialyte. I use their ice bars, too. I don't think I overdrink because I have to keep my potassium level within normal limits. I had very low potassium levels in the past. I have had health issues for a long time and I have a really high pain tolerance. I had IV potassium once and it was the worst pain I felt in my life. I am very careful with what I eat and drink. I was dehydrated before the ostomy, but I would drink mineral water with electrolytes and it would go away. Since the ostomy, it has been constant. I have talked to the ostomy nurse, but she didn't help me.

I will go to that website and see what it says. I am also looking for a new ostomy nurse.

I have seen a nutritionist a long time ago. I should see her again.

I am off to read your website. I will try anything that might help.

Once again, I think you are a wonderful caring person and I truly appreciate you and the time you take to help.

Pray for Peace, Hana

Please call me Hana. That is what my family and friends call me. I consider you a good friend. You always take your precious time to answer. You are one of the greatest assets on this site. I know you have helped so many people. You are a wonderful person.

vdahl

Hi there,

I know you've already received a ton of terrific information but I wanted to share a couple little things with you. I have trouble with hydration as well. I personally can't do Gatorade but do drink Propel with electrolytes. The trick I learned is to sip constantly rather than drinking down a whole glass like I used to... and to alternate drinks with electrolytes with water. I was told that in case of an emergency and I need to get hydrated, drink pickle juice... straight pickle juice. I know they now have electrolyte drops that you can add to your water.

I sure hope you're feeling better! I love how you sign off on your messages and whatnot :) I volunteer for an organization that works with our local "community court", a program for at-risk and/or vulnerable clients to work with the community rather than get lost in the justice system. The Defending Attorney that runs it always ends the meeting with "Now let's go out and save the world!". Somehow, I always feel like it IS possible to make a difference when I hear it.

Blessings to you, Vicki

NotDeadYet

Hana-

You mentioned tea?

My husband has epilepsy, and is medicated for it, but after a dozen years of marriage I pieced together that tea was messing him up.

I'm still trying to figure it all out, but my best guess is that the diuretic effects in tea altered the effects of his medication. Sure, he can have mint tea or peach tea no problem. But traditional pekoe teas or even green teas screw him up to no end.

It sounds odd, but my hubby can drink 10 espressos and be fine. But if he has one cup of tea, he's like a mean drunk (he doesn't drink). I think it's that somehow the diuretic effects of tea change his absorption of dilantin (his anti-seizure epilepsy meds) and then it creates a total body imbalance.

In short, please skip the tea unless it's just a fruity fun thing.

I hope it helps! :)

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ZaliBee

I was having problems with too much output from my ileostomy and dehydration, so my doctor prescribed Imodium twice a day. I was drinking Gatorade, water, and Pedialyte every 2 hours to try and keep up with the output, but he said I was not absorbing the liquid. The Imodium slows everything down so that now it is getting absorbed and I don't have to drink as much as I was.