Post-Op BMs: Passing More Normally Than in Bag?

Replies
Views
Caboy59

Hi, new to the site. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience. 10 days since surgery, and a couple of days ago, I had a regular BM. Talked with Dr and was told that this was normal. Whew, that's good. Now the problem, has numerous B's over the last couple of days, actually passing more the old way, than in my bag. Anyone familiar or experience this? Any ideas, or knowledge would certainly be helpful. Thanks

NotDeadYet

Hi, Cowboy!

Enjoy it!

Grab a newspaper and a cup of coffee. Relax. Enjoy being able to poo like in the old days!

As what's left of your colon cleans itself out, these movements will become less common. Then after a month it's like, YAY! and you pass a little mucus poo. And then after that, monthly or so. Enough to grab something to read and take your time and remember the old Daily Days. . .

There was a part of me, after surgery including a colostomy, pooing out of my butt and thinking, "maybe they got it wrong! maybe I'm really OK and I can poo normally after all." A beautiful moment of denial on the potty. 5 minutes of joy. In some ways, it was almost worth having a colostomy to experience the joy of that 5 minutes: "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone". So. . . when it's gone, and you understand what you HAD, it's kind of a neat place to be. . .

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,432 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Caboy59

Thank you, but my problem is that when this happens, like 12-20 times a day, I tend to be pretty sore. That's what got me to the doctor in the first place. The blockage causes major cramping, bloating, and what seems like a continuous urge to go. The doctor said he wanted to take pressure off my back door, well with regular bowel movements, the pain continues.

Maryriceot

Sounds like you need to see the surgeon or gastroenterologist. This is not normal.

Mary

Caboy59

Thanks, Mary. That's what I plan on doing first thing Monday morning - calling.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Maryriceot

Let us know what the doc thinks. Mary

Caboy59

I have an appointment Tuesday afternoon. Over the phone, the doctor was not concerned much with the BMS. They were more concerned with the pain aspect because that's what the surgery initially was supposed to help with. More to follow on Tuesday for anyone addressing similar challenges.

Caboy59

Talked with Dr. today, he seems to think that all is okay. Thinks maybe I'm passing mucus, but I assured him that's not the case. Referred me to pain management clinic. Also, he thinks that when the chemo starts, that will help with pain. I have no idea why he thinks that. I'm pretty frustrated with today's appointment. Pain meds only making things barely tolerable. I felt really good the first few days after surgery, everything was going to the bag, and no pressure on the rear end. Now, back to the same pain as before surgery.

NotDeadYet

Oh, so is this cancer-related? I have 8 inches of colon above the rectum before it cuts off. For 7 months, I've had blood, then blood clots, then finally tissue coming out (10 times per day, a far cry from the monthly mucus poos of old!) Anyway, they were watching closely for a tumor causing this. It took 6 months before it showed up on a scan (they DID look carefully!). Now they're zapping it with radiation.

Chemo would help with the pain if you have a tumor causing pain and the chemo shrinks the tumor.

I'm sorry for your pain! Keep us posted on how you do!

Caboy59

Sorry it took so long to reply, Notdeadyet. Yes, it is cancer-related. Ostomy was meant to relieve some of the pressure and pain. And yes, I did have the blood and the mucus, etc. Saw Doctor Surgeon on Wednesday; he didn't seem too concerned, but I am about the pain. Eating causes an urge to go, in turn, the pain starts back up. Sometimes lasting 3-4 hours. Sleep evades me, lol. Lack of sleep, minimal eating, kind of makes me a grouch. Looking forward to chemo, hopefully shrinking the mass, thus relieving pressure. The last couple of days have been a little better. Having a port put in on Wednesday, chemo starting 7/10. Thanks for sharing,

NotDeadYet

Yay! A Port! You're gonna LOVE that! The beautiful veins on your arms will stay that way, no matter WHAT noxious stuff you choose to bring into your body. Are you going for a power-port, that they can also use for CT scans?

For me, as a cancer patient, pain management changed over time, and is changing again.

First thing is that any doctor working with a cancer patient should understand pain and work with that most of all.

Here, our problem is COMMUNICATING the pain.

Your surgeon wasn't too concerned about the pain but YOU were? It seems that you also had a communication issue.

My husband constantly complains: "You LOOK so healthy and you SEEM so 'up'. People can't tell that you're really sick when, in fact, you ARE."

Thankfully, I bring him to major Doctor visits. He gives the details of my "Down" times because I'm just too "up" to guide anyone into a downside, which is really where I need help.

We all hope that your chemo goes well.

We would LOVE to hear from you, but OK if you're too tired. . .

Caboy59

Ditto about the pain and communication, I think my long-time girlfriend understands it more and more as my downtime increases. Same thing with the boss at work. We have horses at home; they require a lot of work, but I'm just running out of energy, and that's before starting any treatment. And I try to stay upbeat, so not everyone gets a chance to see the downtime. But as it increases, my grouchy self comes out more.

Just trying to remember that "If I'm not part of the solution, I'm part of the problem." And am thankful for the patience of the people around me.