Me and My Ostomy Bag

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Valgal

I just had a nurse come out to me and show me different bags. I was very comfortable with one stainable, non-see-through pouch. Before we even showed me any bags, we had disguised the texture of my bowels. I had told her they were normal. So we go in the room to replace the other bag I had for new ones. They are so much better than what I had before. My question is, all of a sudden, my stool is not like normal and is softer. It sits on and around the stoma without falling so I can drain it. I had disposables before, which I was changing too often and would give me blisters. Now I like drainables, but can't drain. What about water through the shower hose? Help me, I'm in the same problem as before if I take the whole appliance off when it should stay on longer for me...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Immarsh

Hi, you don't say whether you have an ileostomy or a colostomy, and the output/waste can be a completely different consistency. The stoma opening for an ileostomy is made at the entrance to the small colon, the ileum, and since there's no large intestine to absorb the water, the output tends to be more watery. Very fibrous foods can cause thickening of the output. In my 50-year experience, I prefer a two-piece appliance so that it's possible to remove the pouch without removing the wafer. But if you're experiencing firm stool that won't drain easily, you can add some water to the filled pouch and then more easily squeeze out what you can.

If you have a colostomy, then the opening was made into the colon (large intestine), which absorbs much more water, and the output would be firm. "Pancaking" stool backing up in the pouch is not unusual in that situation. Again, a two-piece system makes it easier to clean up around the stoma and then put the pouch back on. You might consider irrigating, which will regulate your output (which will then be watery). There are instructive videos online... so Google "irrigation of a colostomy" and you will see the procedure. The one I viewed was done in the hospital, so it's very "procedural"... with a nurse attending to a patient. But it's usual to do it for yourself. If you have any questions, just post more questions or write. Best of luck. Marsha

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Ranjen617

Get a non-needle syringe and clean your bag using plain water. Then give the bag a good swoosh, then drain.

I use the Sensura Mio 2-piece and have issues with pancaking myself sometimes. I simply take off the bag, clean the output away, then add olive oil or baby oil around it. Temporary fix but works. I also use a bag lubricant for the rest of the bag along with M9 deodorant.

The bag has great options and a filter. On pancaking issues, I use the circle sticker to close off the filter. Very discreet bag and you can fold it in half right after draining to get a few minutes of no long bag hanging down. The other bags just weren't for me either. Clumsy or wouldn't adhere, plus the filters lasted a day before going out. I can get up to two weeks on my flange and change my bag as needed.

Good luck and many blessings....Jen

Valgal

Thank you so much for the info, I will try that.

Maryriceot

I also had pancaking. I found a wonderful ostomy nurse who recommended Perfect Choice super strength lubricating deodorant. It's oily, so I squeeze it into a new bag before putting it onto the phalange. I also prefer two-piece bags and find Hollister bags have a better filter as well as an easier plastic ring to attach to the phalange.

I take generic Miralax daily to liquefy the stool more, which also prevents pancaking.

Mary

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister