Leaky bags

Replies
Views
nilesandfrasier

Does anyone's stoma retract a little and become almost flat to their skin, thus causing a leaky bag?

vdahl

I did until I started using Coloplast deep convex wafer/flange. I was also having some problems with the skin around the stoma. After visiting the ostomy clinic at the hospital, she had me quit using the moldable rings and use stoma powder without barrier wipes or sprays... "less is more" worked :)

Hope you get some relief.

Vicki

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

aartist

Yes, I have had the problem where the stoma is almost flat with my stomach wall and I have leakage. However, this only seems to occur during the night if I am sleeping a certain way, like on my back. The only way for me to resolve the issue was to lay sleeping on my right side, the side that my stoma is on. Ever since I discovered this, I have not had a problem. It never seems to occur during my waking hours when I am active.

Best of luck.

Tom Schneider

lovelylittle

I also have a near-flat stoma, and in the beginning, I had leak after leak after leak all day and night, so I called the ostomy supply store in which my ostomy nurse did appointments and got in to see her. This was my second stoma with the same problems as the first, so I had it in my mind that nothing works and this will be my life from now on, but she told me she would find a bag for me that I would LOVE. Love and ostomy should never be in the same sentence in my mind, but anyway...she would get samples of several different kinds of bags, flanges, adhesive rings, and pick one to do an appliance change right there in her office. I saw her every week or so to try different bags until I found one that I wasn't having any issues with, stuck with it, and I actually get about 5 days of wear time because it's so secure! Tons of trial and error but I'm happy with what I have now. See if you can do the same thing where you're from and don't give up. In case you'd like to know what I use since I too have that flat stoma, it's an adhesive ring, a convex I think? flange with just the slightest bump on it that you cut to size yourself, and whatever size bags you'd like. The bags just click onto the flange and you lock it on, super simple. I also don't use any of those powders or anything else before putting on the flange. Good luck!