White Substance from Stoma - Benign or Concerning?

Replies
Views
mattwendzina

Hi there,

I seem to get this white substance excreting out of the side of my stoma. I've attached a photo.

I wondered if anyone has had a similar experience and knows whether this is benign or something I should be getting checked out?

Many thanks

NJ Bain

Matt,

What kind of ostomy do you have? I found an older post that may be related to this.

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=7851

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,380 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mattwendzina

I have an ileostomy.

Thanks for the link - that sounds similar to what I have going on and puts my mind more at ease!

Bill

Hello Bain.

Thanks for replying to this in your usual helpful way.

I sometimes find old posts that I would like to refer to but have never managed to find a straightforward linkĀ  like the one you have used.

How do you do that?

Best wishes

Bill

NJ Bain

Gentlemen,

You're very welcome, Matt. Glad I could help out, but I can't take all the credit since I didn't write the original post....lol

@Bill,

The Google search bar at the top of the screen or even just Google normally, I just do a search for keywords like ostomy and secretion. I highlight and copy the URL or web address and then here in the posting field, I click on the little chain link in the upper left corner of the window next to insert and paste the link in the "URL" field and it automatically pastes it in "the text to display" field which you can change. Hope this helps.

Bain

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

Thanks Bain

I've copied it onto Word and printed it out so that I know for future reference

Best wishes

Bill

NJ Bain

Brilliant! Glad I could be informative. Let me know if you need anything else.

Bain

Honora

Celina,

I do not have a colostomy, but I work in the hospital and have met quite a few people with them. The first impression I get from individuals with them is that they are not happy about them, especially when they get it new. Some have to burp the bag to let gas out. They usually want their nursing assistance to empty the bags for them.

I

I

gittadargi

Why do white substance come out from ostomy bag?