Seeking Clothing Advice for 2x Stomas

Replies
Views
Dundee Double

Hi there, I'm from Bonny Scotland and have an ileostomy and a urostomy. At 46, some days get me down as I have difficulty in finding clothes to cover 2x stomas. Any ideas???

Robinsa

Hi, Dundee Double.
I am also from Scotland and have a Urostomy stoma. As a male, I wear braces on looser trousers and a waistband from Comfiz. Shirts are worn outside my trousers.

Ali.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,433 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Dundee Double

Thank you X

Newbie Dana

Hi, Dundee Double. As a woman who used to live constantly in slacks, I have found switching to dresses and skirts to be extremely more comfortable than wearing pants. Go for the less fitted ones that fairly easily hide the presence of the stoma, even two of them. Also, I have found skirts with an elastic waistband and a very loose, full drape work wonders there. I even have some with the smocking that covers the bosom, and flares out from there. You can't even tell I have a stoma.

Not only that, dresses and skirts are much easier to lift out of the way to change pouches. Win-win all the way!

I hope this helps.

LadyHope

Hi Dundee Double.... I completely agree with Newbie Dana. I like wearing dresses and skirts more than pants or capris. It is easier to maneuver the entire ostomy/pouch/emptying situation. Although shopping takes more time these days, I look for clothing that is an A line structure with more swing. Fitted clothing is fine but I need to make certain that the clothing does not cling to my stoma area. If it does, you may see the outline of my wafer and pouch. I also wear a support undergarment as it smooths everything. I tried Spanx but it was a bit too snug for me unless I increased the size. The shopping process is trial and error so I do not rush it. I just take my time and try everything on. Take care and keep posting. This is a great site. Sincerely, LH

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
NotDeadYet

Dundee!

Oh my goodness, at your age I was wearing tight, long-legged jeans framing a perfect figure (and butt) and lording myself over the younger mommies who couldn't, at 10 or 15 years younger, compete. Then came cancer, and a colostomy with a stoma RIGHT ON MY BELTLINE and I've never worn jeans again. I couldn't if I wanted to.

So... First solution was fold-over-top skirts. They tend to be flared, with a stretchy band on the top that you can fold over. The American company GAP sold them for a few years running. I snapped up enough from GAP and other companies to last me for a few years. The fold-over top is soft enough to allow bag expansion, and the nature of the skirt allows you to mess around with the waistline to suit your needs.

Another item is one-piece "shift" dresses. Forget any solid-color dresses, they show your stoma in a heartbeat. But if the fabric is patterned, it can easily hide your bag lumps, even with a thinner fabric. Choose a friend to shop with--choose someone that gets irritated and snobby when it comes to fashion, who also seems to have good taste. Bring them with you. Figure out the best necklines for you, and figure out your best "arm-lines." Once you figure THOSE out, you can choose cute shift dresses that flatter you (and totally hide ostomy bag lumps).

Personally, I shock the saleswomen by saying "I have ostomy bag issues so we need to consider... blah blah," but I think, secretly, they enjoy the challenge...

For the fall, I love leggings and long tops. I choose leggings that I can comfortably pull up high or push low, depending on bag activity. USA's 'Altar'd States' seems to continually offer tops that are long enough to cover down to your thigh. Lovely tops for comfy leggings. And with leggings last winter, I put on some cute ankle boots, added a few very accommodating huge shawls (you can feel out your bag status and adjust it undercover) and I was good to go.

You might not have realized it yet, but your ostomies are about to turn you into a fashion diva!

Figure that you'll need to revamp your entire wardrobe, and work with it, have fun with it, and put personal comfort above all else--it's time.