You know how people talk about losing a part of their body parts and have phantom pains?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
SURVIVOR#15

I never had phantom pains, but after I had my entire colon removed from having colon cancer, it really bothered me. And it might sound crazy, but I missed my colon for a long time and it really upset me. Even worried me that here I am now missing a 6 ft. long part of me that I have had all of my life. I was just wondering if anybody else ever felt that way. This is my 1st post. I had ulcerative colitis when I was 13 yrs old that turned into colon cancer when I was 29 yrs old. 99% of my colon was full of ulcers, so that's why they took out my entire large intestine and hooked up my small intestine with a J-Pouch. I did really well for quite a few years and then I started getting real bad abscesses with fistulas and had to have numerous surgeries. After every surgery I had, I started losing more and more muscle strength and it got so bad that I was going on myself in my sleep, so I made the hard decision to get a permanent ileostomy. It was the best decision I have ever made in my life, except for being saved and giving my heart to God. I hope and pray that you all stay positive and keep your heads up! We are all family here that has been given a 2nd chance at life, so live, laugh, and love. :)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hi Survivor#15,

Welcome to MAO. I don't recall feeling like I missed the part of my colon that was removed after colon cancer, but I'm glad you are now happier and encouraging others to stay positive. Hope you post more and when you can, stop in the general chat room and say hello.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
SURVIVOR#15

Thank you so much for your response and kind words!! I'm new at this but I'm so excited to finally be with and talk to others who know and live daily with my struggles both mentally and physically. Thank you for the kind welcome and I'm looking forward to posting more.

Bill

Hello SURVIVOR#15.

I'm sos glad you felt able to join us in posting, as many people just passively observe the posts and don't feelm able to write stuff themselves. 

It sounds as if you have already had plenty of experience which would be helpful to share with others and I agree with your comment : " We are all FAMILY HERE that has been given a 2nd Chance at LIVE so LIVE , LAUGH AND LOVE" - A very good philosophy.

Best wishes

Bill

SURVIVOR#15

Thank you so much, Bill!! It is so good to be here where people understand what you are going through both physically and mentally. Can't wait to make some new friends :)

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister