Upcoming Reversal

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Rubylu2

Trying to keep myself calm prior to reversal. Surgery is scheduled for September 8. Start pre-op preps next week. Have to go for a colonoscopy in 2 weeks. I had one a long time ago, before colostomy, and it wasn't too bad. But now I'm scared to pieces. The prep alone is scaring me. Any advice? Never had to do an enema before. Have to drink surprep too.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NJ Bain

Rubylu2,

There was a question about this in one of the earlier posts. I'm putting a link down below.

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=8316

Enemas suck no matter what. I don't know if you'll have to do it alone or if you can have someone assist. I would suggest getting the enema warm first by heating up the bottle in hot water to get it closer to your body temperature. I'm sure if you google how to do an enema, you'll find a lot of information on proper technique and such.

As far as the surprep, I think they also make special larger pouches for preps. You could always do the funnel idea I mentioned in the post above. Hope this helps.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Fraidy Cat

Hi Rubylu2,

I joined this site because I was so scared to have the reversal surgery. Several members who had been through it responded to my post and reassured me that it would be fine. Had mine April 3rd, 2017, two years after the original surgery when I received the colostomy. Happy to tell you all went great and I am so happy with the results, feel better now than I have in many years! I think the most important thing is having a good surgical team and lots of prayer!

Go for it!! We are so fortunate to be candidates for this life-changing procedure!!!

Prayers,

Fraidy Cat

Terapined

My experience. I went to the hospital morning Jul 19 to prep for reversal. Had a bottle of the stuff around 11am to clean me out. Bag filled up and leaked so got in the shower about 2pm to clean up and had an enema. I got naked, stepped in the shower, nurse stuck enema tube into my stoma about a foot or 2. Water ran out of the stoma, at first pretty dirty then pretty clean. Had another one about 8pm. Through stoma again and also anus enema. Pretty clean so they canceled 5am enema. Had surgery next day at 1pm. Been a couple of weeks and doing good. Just weak but 2 major surgeries in 3 months will make you weak.

The weirdest thing. My tongue tastes have changed a little. Sharp tastes are sharper. Not really good. Too sharp a taste does not appeal to me.

Wilski

I had a reversal in 2014 after a colostomy and ileostomy. I can assure you that the fear is worse than the procedure. My ostomy was reversed and I'm as good as new. It's always easier to tell another person not to be afraid. If you are so anxious, ask your doctor for some lorazepam or Valium to calm you down and take the edge off. You won't get addicted to it, but you will be less anxious. Good luck and have no fears. The procedure is straightforward for the most part and trust your surgeon. If you are in Baltimore, I hope you are getting this done at Johns Hopkins.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister