Welcome to Marsha's "Get to Know You: Let's Talk" Post

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Immarsh

Hi All,

Although I regularly answer posts, I've been negligent about meeting new members, and reachingout just to chat.I thought it would be fun, if we use this post, to introduce ourselves, tell where we live, w hat surgery we have......and a brief explanation of what the most recent " thorn " in our life is causing the most problem.Along with the bad.....also has to be some good, so please include some blessing for which you are grateful.... I'm hoping some newbies will reply. I've been trying to read some profiles, to get to know the newer people....but that hasn't been too successful.So join me and "come to my party"....

I'm Marsha, 50+ plus years with an ileostomy, my badge of survival.Married, raised 2 sons, who both have IBD, divorced more than 20 years ago, and have been dealing with loss of job, and debilitating but not life threatening issues for the last 3 years.I'm doing better now, and want to enjoy every good day that I have..... Love to travel, but haven't been able to go far these last few years. Dental work, and replacing teeth, is my current "thorn", and when that's done, it will be nice to chew again.Travel or teeth...I chose teeth.Just celebrated my 69th birthday, with a childhood favorite, spaghetti and meatball dinner with my family a day at my sister's pool Can't get better than that.

Would love to hear from you.!

Marsha from New jersey

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

scorsby

Hi Marsha.

What a great idea.

Its good to talk.

John

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Mrs.A

Hey Marsha,

Funny I thought I replied to your post yesterday. Oh well, I'll try posting again. I have a colostomy as of 05. It was a very big surprise to have been diganosed with cancer but here I am all this time later because of the grace of God and the wonderful husband and family He blessed me with.

The bigest "thorn" I have is when folks don't use common courtesy toward each other. If we did life would be much better. Maybe it would start a chain reaction and one day we could treat animals and the planet better too.

Angelicamarie

G'morning Marsha , what a great idea, since your do have a lot of knowledge, A veteran in the green mile !!! Good luck with your let's talk post!!! Angelicamarie

Felix Culpa

Hi, I'm Felix, I'm a new iliostomate. As in two weeks ago I went in for some tests on a Thursday and Friday got Oscar the Pouch. I expected to get an ostomy eventually and was prepared mentally. For three months I've been ill with various Crohns related issues, even had a double bout with C Dif. Most recent visit w surgeon to discuss plans for surgery included the fact my left ovary has adhesions to my large intestine and there is a possibility it will need to be removed. Two months from now will see a protocolectomy performed, open rather than laparoscopic. Not looking forward to that recovery. That's the thorn patch I have right now.

On the bright side I feel better than I have for some time and am eating much more. I'm managing my Ostomy well and my husband has been fantastic about the whole thing. I'm going to be able to return to work briefly. I'm an Activities Staff member at a geriatric facility and I really miss the ladies there something fierce.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
iMacG5

Hi Marsha. Obviously I haven’t been too diligent but thank you for your post. More thanks for your thoughts, expressions and efforts. I just celebrated my 77th and, like you, I’m going through the tooth thing.

I think newbies sometimes are overwhelmed with their situations and socializing might not be a priority. I’m sure they appreciate we’re here for them and when they get more comfortable they’ll jump in.

Thanks for your kind efforts.

Mike

ron in mich

hi marsha i dont know why i am just seeing this post now but any way, i had my surgery in 1985 for UC and now i have an ilieostomy, i,m married for 43yrs. 2 daughters and now i,m retired.

Immarsh
Hi All, Thanks for responding. I posted this awhile ago, thinking that it might " invite" people to introduce themselves, and thereby making it easier to reach out for help if needed, or for other's to respond to those in need. I only got three responses, so I guess it's not what most people are looking for. Thanks to Ron, Mike Felix... Hope all is well. Best regards to all of you. Marsha
iMacG5

Hi Marsha. Thanks for the reminder. It’s good for all of us to know we’re here for each other. I might not be as active as before but I rely always on you guys being there. I’m sure lot’s of us feel the same.

Sincerely,

Mike

Puppyluv56

Hi Marsha,

Sorry I have not responded. I just saw this! Great idea! I am Puppyluv and was diagnosed with a neuroendrocrine tumor in the rectum attached to the vagina wall in Jan. Had chemotherapy then because his type cancer is so aggressive, and does not normally present in the rectum, they decided they tumor board that surgery should be done even though the tumor was gone! I had Cervical cancer 11 years ago so had radiation then so because of the damage from that, I had extensive surgery to include reconstruction and a new friend named Betty, my Colostomy in April 2018. I had a really hard time with pouches that did not work well but have since started irrigating and found it has created a freedom I was missing! I am good with it all now and that was because of some great people that I met on here that has given me great advise and let me k ow Inwas not alone! I have it all figured out now and am just trying to see how long I can go without irrigating! Reach out to people here! They will get you they all of it!

Puppyluv

Marye

A newbie here. Got my colostomy the end of July 2018. Tough 6 weeks. I had adenocarcinoma (cancer of the rectum and anus). Extensive surgery - ;grassilus ;(sp) flap, and ;colostomy. Still in shock but learning to deal. Named 'him' Lucky and have just been able to look at him and to change out the bag. So tired of being ill and recovering and then surgery and now recovery. Often depressed and yet I know i'm ;'Lucky.'Love all you fearless hearts!

chestnut
Thanks Marsha. I had a colostomy with a radical hysterectomy in November 2017. Looking for support in adapting. Many challenges, but this operation saved my life. Lorelei