Help!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Lisaf

My name is Lisa and I'm 33 years old. I was diagnosed with stage 2 rectal cancer in January of this year. I did 5 1/2 weeks of chemo and radiation. I had my low anterior resection surgery on July 19th, 2017, just a few weeks ago. I have a temporary ileostomy which I am working on getting used to. The hardest part of healing so far has been the pain in my backside. Sometimes I have a sharp pain in my anus or rectal area that subsides after like 10-15 excruciating seconds. However, the worst part is the overwhelming burning and itching feeling in my anus. Is this normal? I bought a Preparation H cream that I'm hoping will help a little but today after I took a shower, I was standing up and applying the cream, I went a little into the anus with the cream and felt something that felt like stitches!!!!!!! Are my stitches that low? Please tell me this is normal!!! This has to be what is causing my discomfort!!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Lisaf.

Thank you for your post as it raises some interesting questions - such as what is 'normal' after surgery. I suppose ther is no such thing as 'normality' because we are all different and the operations are done for dsifferent reasons by different surgeons who have differing ideas as to what is the right thing to do for each patient. If you had rectal cancer, then presumably the surgeon would have wanted to remove all traces of it an that could lead to having stitches low down in the rectum. The way to find out is to ask direct questions of the surgeon who performed the operation (or have a feel as you have done, although this still won't give you a definitive answer). I the wound is that far down, it would certainly account for the discomfort you ar feeling and I would suggest that this is relatively 'normal' post op. as is the sharp pains which subsides in a few seconds. However, there is nothing like going back to the medics to explain what is going on and ask them their opinions. I have found that the best people to talk to are the stoma nurses because they are the ones who see people after surgery and hear all about the after-effects of surgery. They are in a better position to explain what is normal and what should be investigated.

In my own case, I still get the pains you describe - years after my operation but I yput that dfown to the fact that I had a rectal prolapse and they did not remove it - so it stil prolpses from time to time and I have simply learned to live with it.  

I hope this is of some help to you

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Lisaf

Thank you so much for responding, Bill. I plan on calling in today and asking my questions. I'm sorry that you have had to learn to live with the pain; it is so awful.

Immarsh

Hi Lisa,

You have really gone through a difficult time. Dealing with cancer treatment, surgery, and getting used to an ileostomy is all a challenge.

I'm Marsha, and I've had my ileostomy for more than 50 years, since I was a child of 15. After being treated for 4 years for ulcerative colitis, my parents finally agreed to my having the surgery. In my case, they removed the whole colon or large intestine, leaving only the rectal stump (about 5 inches).

I'm not sure where they did your resection, but if they cut close to the rectum, it would be painful to sit comfortably until you healed. As Bill said, the best one to ask is your surgeon. Even the stoma nurse wouldn't know exactly where they made the incision.

For me, the rectal stump never healed, so after another 4 years of treatment (meds, injections, intravenous, and enemas), at age 19, I decided to have it removed, making my ileostomy permanent. My doctors and parents were not happy with my decision because it ended my chances of ever being "reconnected". But at 19, I knew I never wanted to live with that disease again. The removal of the rectum was painful and took a long time to heal. Sitting remained difficult for more than a year, and now, even 50 years later, I get intermittent pain, which must be from scar tissue in the area. But I never regretted my decision to make the ileostomy permanent.

You're in a different situation, so if your cancer has been removed and does not recur, you will be able to be reconnected at a future time. Hang in there with the discomfort, once you've checked it out with the doctor. Eventually, it will improve. Best of luck to you... let us know how you're doing.

Marsha