Need help finding high-stoma coverage jeans!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
Looking for recommendations on high-stoma coverage jeans, any suggestions?
Past Member

Not sure what they are called in other parts of the globe, but in the US they are called sweatpants. I guess you would describe them as workout pants with an elastic waistband and elastic at the cuffs. After my surgery, my stomach seemed to "stick out" like several inches more than before the operation. I figured it was because of all the nerves that got cut inside my stomach made it relax more. I don't know, and I never asked a doctor. But not one pair of my old jeans fit anymore, so I donated them all to a local church clothing bank. (Someone got some nice jeans, and no doubt appreciated them. Amen!)

So, I was hoping to find a thread with this topic of jeans. How ironic that I did.

When I wore jeans before my surgery, I found myself wearing lower and lower cuts of waists. I not only found them more comfortable, but "women liked them too" (LOL) and they were basically what everyone was wearing. So, I found most of my jeans at Old Navy. They tend to have a wider assortment of low-rise or mid-rise jeans. And you can find tons of them at thrift stores! They were so much more comfortable than Levi's.

But my question now, since I've not worn a pair of jeans or slacks since my urostomy, is this: if you fellow ostomates are able to wear belts, is your bag still inside your pants? I often wonder this because I've found even some elastic waistbands tend to squeeze off the bag so much that it doesn't drain.

Another question I was wondering about is what do you MEN do at work? What if you have a job that requires a certain uniform? And maybe a belt? And your shirt must be tucked inside? Then what? I truly believe this would all be too tight on my urostomy. At one time, I tried to wear slightly looser jeans with suspenders under my shirt, but that didn't work too well.

I'll just follow this thread and see if I can gain any tips. Thanks for your time.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gutenberg
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lottagelady
Hi Ed, had this bookmarked, sorry to butt in as it were!

http://www.stomawear.uk.com/unisex_boxer.htm
Gus
Wooshka! Who needs underwear?
sweede
Hey Ed, that link will give you an idea about all the specs and stuff, but in reality they are actually quite impressive, well I think so lol.

The difference between the Comfizz and conventional underwear is that you can pull them up over your pouching system without having to walk around all day with a wedgie! (If you don't know what a wedgie is, then please refer to the following link, most informative http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedgie)

They don't have a waistband so they sit comfortably over the pouch line and cling to the body without restricting pouch flow, so there's no need to have the pouch hanging over the top of your underwear, which eliminates that dreaded fear that your knicker elastic is gonna peel the pouch off from underneath you and spill its contents down your leg in a supermarket queue.

One thing that I have noticed actually, is that I don't put my hand down to my waistband to check if my pouch is still stuck smooth as often anymore, which is pretty cool, they are like an added tool that is gently keeping your pouch pressed on.

There is only one flaw in my opinion, I have a colostomy as well as an Indiana pouch, and sometimes I don't always drink as much water as I should, which makes my poo a bit firm, kinda like blowing an egg down a hose pipe... well not quite as bad, but anyway the Comfizz cling to the body too much to allow the offender to drop naturally, needs a bit of help, but sometimes that's a good thing, gets you through the supermarket queue with no worries I guess.

Yeah so if you want a few pairs, PM me your size (only got M/L and L/XL I think, in both unisex boxers and ladies briefs left. Check for your size on the link that Lottage gave you, couple that with your address and 'll get a few pairs off to you ASAP.

Hairball, guess some of that answer was for you too and with the uniform thing, a white pair wouldn't show up through your shirt, you could have them up to your belly button if you needed them to, trousers on, shirt tucked in, regulation belt/buckle might be an issue. I move about all day (sometimes lol) and rarely get a kink in the wafer these days.
I'll send some over to you, you're still at the same address?, how did you get on with those pouches by the way?, any good?, coz I got hundreds of them here for ya dude, get in touch.x

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Txgirl

Hi Ed!!
I wear jeans every day. I have had my colostomy since 20 Oct 09. My belly is still very swollen from all the surgeries, so it isn't as flat as I'd like.
I wear a mid-rise, boot-cut jean, not super low but not mom jeans. I wear a belt all the time or the jeans slip and all this is right across the middle of my stoma and bag. The only thing, if I wear any that are a little tight, it hurts the stoma area.
I wear my bag under my underwear actually and I still wear thongs. LMAO I refuse to let this get at me in my clothing!
Good luck and I hope this helped a little.

Past Member

Hi gang, I'm going to jump in here and say that they have made many strides over the years with ostomy bags. Unfortunately, my dad had an ostomy bag until his death in 1989, and it resembled a hot water bottle with a drain at the bottom. As far as the location of your stoma, it seems like many people did not discuss the location with their surgeon prior to surgery. Mine is about 3" below my belt line, and jeans are not a problem. I do try to wear loose-fit jeans to keep pancaking to a minimum. But for the grace of God, I am happy just to be alive and well enough to live life. Remember, we all got a second chance in life, and it's too short to squabble over petty things like jeans. There are more important things in life to consider.

#1gran

Thumbs up to
still wearing thongs!!!!!

Maryallison
Go TX Girl!!
tiger227

Hi Sweede

I am very interested in the Comfizz ostomy underwear you mentioned in your blog.
I have never heard of them but would like to try them out. I am a size medium and would like it in black. Can you help?

Jean

Txgirl

Lmao to Gran MaryA... love y'all both!

feeling goog

I too am interested in trying the underwear....size XL I guess...thanks, how do I go about getting them...thank you in advance...Judy

sweede

Hey feeling good and tiger, no worries, send me a message with a postal address and I'll send you each a few pairs courtesy of the foundation, I have both sizes mentioned.

If either of you cannot send private messages, then have a wee look at my profile page, somewhere on there is the address of my website (sorry I've been roasted on here before for writing it in a post).

There is a "Contact Us" link on the top left of my website, you can send it to me that way, or if you wish you can sign up (freely), and leave a postal address in my inbox.

tiger227
Hi Sweede

Having a problem clicking on your profile, so please send me the link so I can contact you.

I am not a full member so that could be the reason.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Jean
Gus

I wanna see Tx in a thong tomorrow lmao

sweede

I sent you a message with my contact details, tiger.x.

Past Member
Well, I started wearing jeans again, found them at Walmart.
Riders, no-gap comfort waistband.
Bought both the regular and low-rise and they fit fine.
Cost $14.00.

Riders, though, are the only ones that fit comfortably.
Gus

I've decided to wear paint on jeans. I figure no one would notice that I'm actually naked, and if they did, I could say I'm airing my poobag, lmao.

isabella

Hi all,
I've just bought new jeans from D2 and Next. They're not low rise, but definitely not mom jeans. They sit comfortably on the waist and don't squash my stoma. I have also tried the Comfizz underwear, but found them too restrictive in not allowing the poo to drop into the pouch. I also thought they were really old-fashioned. Like Texasgirl, I wear thongs as long as they're not tiny. They cover the pouch and stop it from flapping about. I think it's important to feel sexy and feminine still, and whatever floats your boat is what you should wear. We may all have stomas, but it shouldn't stop you from wearing what you feel good in.
Happy New Year to you all from snowy Scotland!
Isabella

Txgirl

I would love to see the paint on jeans, Steve! LMAO Oops..caps

Gus
I'll wear them if you do hehehe
Txgirl

You naughty monkey... I love my men naughty...

Gus
Ruhrowl, I can do that.
beatrice
I'm all for comfort... but paint on jeans? Too darned cold here and all our rain would just wash them off!

As all my pre-surgery jeans are huge, I had to go shopping. I still wear one of my old big pairs around the house and it looks like I should have somebody else in them with me!

I love clothes and love to shop; my ostomy and losing 30 lbs have given me a great reason to get out there!

Recently, I found one very stylish and comfy (but spendy) pair - Fidelity Denim Brand. http://www.fidelitydenim.com/?sec=denim&do=womens&op1=belladonna
In the photo - on that tall, slim, long-waisted model, they look like they sit fairly low. On me with my shorter waist/torso, the waistband sits at the very top of my appliance (not quite completely past the appliance, so not quite at my natural waist). There is a bit of squish-on-pouch happening, but output still occurs. I'm thinking this is because my output is watery or soft pudding (ileostomy)... more solid poos might have trouble with this level of waistband "tightness". These are my dress jeans... and if I gain any weight... I'll be passing them along to someone else.

Another good jean, and lower priced, was the Gap Long and Lean http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=48595. For anyone who is short-waisted, this waist will probably sit just at the top end (or higher) than your appliance. I didn't buy these yet but will, they fit great).

I tried on some elastic-waisted jeans... yes, the waist felt comfortable (many elastic-waisted jeans sit right at the waist - so past the ostomy), but they just didn't look right on me. They didn't fit well in the bum or legs (too much fabric/too loose). If anyone has tried on this type of jean and knows of a brand that is slimmer through the legs and butt, please let me know.

The days of the super low-waisted jean seem to be fading... lots of higher waist styles out there. I love to shop and live in jeans. Shall I share my future experiences with styles/brands, etc?

Regarding underwear... ladies, just give these a try if your store carries them. They are fabulous. Pre-surgery, I used to wear the bikini style, now the Hip Briefs work perfectly http://www.sears.ca/product/jockey-no-panty-line-promise-modal-8482-hip-brief/1831686S?ptag=1. The fabric is lovely and takes up no room. The waistband sits at the top end of my appliance. I tried many other panties, but this silky, light, supportive fabric is great. It holds my appliance against my body without being too tight. And the no-panty-line promise is true.

Hope this helps,
Super Shopper Beatrice!
Txgirl

I like my jeans crumpled up on the floor.....lmao

Gus

That's the whole idea, Beatrice. Naked in the room, just me and Hannah, watching our jeans wash off.

Txgirl

OMG, you ARE gonna get us banned!! LMFAO...I laughed so hard I almost popped my bag off!!

Gus

And my jeans crumpled on top of them.

Gus
Oh no, you're in the shit now. Hahaha
Txgirl

...and us crumpled on top of THAT.... P.S. Not us crumpled on top of shit... LMAO... Had to clarify that.....