Swimming with a Stoma: Tips & Product Recs

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Tink75

Hi again!

I have only had my stoma for a little over 8 years and am still trying to figure things out after years of staying away from certain things for fear of the appliance leaking. One of those things is swimming.

My appliance doesn't like to stay on when it gets wet so I have been avoiding swimming. But I love swimming. Does anyone else have this issue? What do you do to avoid it coming off? That's my fear...that I will get it wet and it will fall off.

Incidentally...is there such a thing as a small athletic bag that hides the fact that I have it from the public?

Thanks for reading and I hope I get some replies!

Allie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

For extra protection, use barrier strips from Coloplast. I have used waterproof tape, but the strips are more comfortable. I usually do not do anything extra and stay in the water for about an hour with no problems. I find sweat to be more of a problem than the pool or ocean.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Tink75

Lol, I thought I was the only one whose sweat takes off their appliances, lol!

Thanks for the advice. I use barrier strips on the ends of my water to extend its wear, but I was thinking that if I put them on top of the whole appliance, it will create a waterproof barrier.

carlos77

Safe Seal is very reliable.

Tink75

Where do you go to get that?

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Newbie Dana

Try AquaSeal from Costa Medical. Works great for me!

vikinga

I'm sorry... uh... 8 years with your "sodomy"?.... cough... cough... lol

butch-c

Allie, your spell check is making you immortal. ROFL
You ought to get that "sodomy" malaprop put on a bronze plaque.
Jay Leno would pay zillions to get a spell check to do that for his
stand-up monologues. Thanks for the jolly chuckle.

Tink75

Where would I get that? Do they have a website? I will look into it...thanks for the advice!!!

Teramis

I've heard good things about AquaSeal too. That's a two-piece system: the stoma seal goes directly against your skin (around the stoma), and the AquaSeal goes around the base of your wafer. The two adhere together, forming a waterproof seal that sandwiches the wafer in.

There is a good YouTube video about it, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M569qikF1f8

Mrs.A

Love my Sure Seal rings!! Never leave home without them.

http://alpglobal.com/Sure-Seal-TM-Rings.html