Hair Removal Near Peristomal Site

In this discussion
Replies
Views
andyd

Has anyone tried Neet or Veet around their peristomal skin? Curious if anyone has experience or insight.

Thanks.

Andy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Yes, I used it. It was advised to me by a nurse. It worked really well. After a few years, hair growth slowed down a lot, so I just use a razor again now. Before you use it around your stoma, try it on your chest or the other side of your stomach to make sure you're not allergic to it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
andyd

Thanks... gonna give it a try!

Will post the results

andyd

Results not that good. I tried a small dab, 2-3 cm, on the other side of my abdomen and did not have any reaction. Hair removed easily. I then tried the same amount on the outer edge where the outside of the flange sits. My skin is healthiest there. Again, no reaction and the hair removed easily. Next flange change, I tried a bigger area closest to the stoma. It felt ok at first, but then I noticed a bit of a burn. Although my skin is intact, I consider it a bit damaged due to the years of having the ostomy. I removed the cream in the shower and let water flush the site.

The area continues to have a feeling of irritation and minor burning. I put a new flange on and could feel the site irritated throughout the day. The next day I changed the flange and could see the area where I applied the VEET was irritated and red, but the feeling of burning had gone away.

So that was a quick experiment and in conclusion, I will not be using a hair removal cream.

Going to check out laser removal sometime in the future.

iMacG5

I stopped shaving over a year ago.  I use one of those $10 ear, nose, stash trimmers.  No nicks, no cuts, no ingrown hairs. Might be worth a try.

Respectfully,

Mike

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister