Advertisement
ConvaTec - Bathing
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Me+ Join Today

B12 levels

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
17,233 Members
Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:34 pm

I had my first full CBC done since my emergency surgery on the 12th of July when I received my ileostomy.   My doctor went over them, explaining that it showed I was anemic, my thyroid was wacked out and issues with B12 and anemia. I had hypothyroidism before the surgery that was under control but now is not.  The doctor is running further tests on the anemia and B12 issues.  She is thinking that I am not absorbing my nutrients like I should be.  She raised my levothyroxine to start with.  I thought things were not OK because I was losing so much hair and my skin was so dry.  I do not understand the B12 or anemia issue however.  Have any of you folks had B12 or anemia issues since your surgeries??  What have you found out about it and what did you do to correct the issue?  Have any of you had an issue with absorbing your nutrients?   Thanks

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:56 pm

Well, the fact that you have an ileostomy might explain it. Did they remove most or all of your large intestine? The colon or large intestine normally has a high population of bacteria that make vitamin B12 which is essential for the process of red blood cell formation. A deficiency in these bacteria due to, in this case, remval of the colon, will result in a deficiency in the vitamin B12 and the signs of anemia occur for obvious reasons. I would think that your MD will put you on vitamin B12 supplement or injection of the B12. I do not do why your hypothyroidism has increased. An endocrinologist is the person to see.

X_

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:29 pm

Thanks, I will be retested in 6 weeks so I guess I will find out more than. 

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Hello Freedancer,

If you have had your terminal ilium removed, which absorbs B12 from your food, you will need B12 injections.  I have them every 3 months.   

Beshlie

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.