Different Flours

In this discussion
Replies
Views
freedancer

I have been trying to find some information about flours other than white. Does anyone know if people with ileostomies can eat sorghum and oat flours? I have a gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe that my husband and I really like but I don't know if I can eat it now. Have any of you folks used alternate flours? I do not cook with whole wheat at all. Thank you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Newbie Dana

I'm sorry, I have a colostomy, not an ileostomy, so I didn't realize that gluten gave you problems. If you like the texture of whole wheat, have you tried rye flour? And oatmeal has a lot of soluble fiber, as opposed to insoluble fiber, so I would imagine oat flour would give you a really good texture without the gluten. Also check on rice flour - a staple for Japanese cooking, and probably much more available than some of the others.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
vikinga

Hi,

I also have an ileostomy. I eat all flours with no problem. But out of concern for health and avoiding the unhealthy effects of GMOs, I stick to organic products. I also prefer sprouted grains. They are better for your system. I do, however, use organic whole oats, oat flour, even steel-cut oats, if that helps. I think I have tried sorghum. If you are new to having an ileostomy, try a bit and see how it feels first. As time goes by, you can safely eat more and more things:)