Support and Compassion in the Ostomy Community: Finding Strength Together

In this discussion
Replies
Views
iMacG5

So I was thinkin’, maybe it’s all “Ostomy Related”. I mean why would I discuss my golf game, classical music, creation or evolution or anything else on an ostomy website? Oh, because I’m an Ostomate. So, when I experienced what I considered the wrath of Satan and thought life as I knew it was over, I stumbled on this site and began reading what folks had to offer. I was immediately impressed with the amazing expressions of compassion, empathy and real effort to help others in need. I was experiencing all the crap that most ostomates had gone through and just realizing I wasn’t alone made things way different. Recognizing how much wisdom was offered, I felt blessed. I am and I think we all are blessed to have a place like this to share; to help and be helped.
My life is ostomy related but not ostomy controlled. It’s a part of me like a dental bridge. OK, maybe more than that but it doesn’t determine who I am and how I will live my life. It is what it is and my perception is it’s nowhere near the awful condemnation I expected to be victim of.
It’s really OK.
Respectfully,
Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NJ Bain

Well said, Mike. Preach on!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hear! - Hear! Mike. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Best wishes

Bill

Angelicamarie

Very well said Mike, how true!

iMacG5

Thanks for the kind words Bill & Angel.  

Now my New Jersey neighbor, Bain, I'm hoping this didn't seem like a sermon or a pontification.  I know we Jersey guys speak a different language but, for me, pulpits and orange crates aren't my style.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
NJ Bain

Not at all. I think a lot of us feel the same way you do.

Bain

iMacG5

Thanks Bain.  As much as we've learned about this stuff I sometimes wonder if I'm thinking in the right direction.  Not even sure what that means.

Respectfully,

Mike

Newbie Dana

Right on, Mike! I have an ostomy. I am not defined by my ostomy. And obviously, neither are you. So well said!

iMacG5

Thanks for the reply, Dana.  I think some of us never pondered who we were until we had our ostomy.  Then we realized how capable and flexible we could be.  We discovered how quickly we could learn and deal comfortably with stuff we might have thought impossible.  And now we disregard a lot of crap that once seemed important, we've gotten more selective in what (and whom) we entertain and we're so much wiser.  I think we're good for each other and couldn't be more grateful.

Sincerely,

Mike