Advertisement
ConvaTec - Bathing
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Me+ Join Today

Wearing an ostomy bag horizontally

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
17,233 Members
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:31 am

What have been your experiences with wearing an ostomy bag horizontally rather than vertically? Also, I recently had surgery to remove my rectum. I am experincing urination issues and sexual issiues (I can't get an erection). Any thoughts on these subjects would be helpful.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi, first the horizontal deployment of the bag. I have not tried it - but the stealth bag is the way to go maybe if you want to - its in the US.

Re impotence. This is something that only your consultant can advise on; and I would arrange to discuss this issue with him.

Regards. Stephen

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:47 pm

Hi AHS,

I wear my pouch either way depending on what type of clothes I have on. If I feel my pouch is being pulled downward I will turn it to the side as it seems to help. Sometimes comfort plays a roll as well. Try it an see if you have a preference.

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:24 am

Started wearing my pouch horizontally last year, it's more comfortable and more discreet even under close fitting clothing. Of course, I'm using a 2pc and I must rotate the pouch to empty (just open lockring and rotate, empty, reopen lockring, rotate back to horizontal position). As long as you're careful not to pull the pouch off while rotating or emptying, it works well!  Good luck!

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:22 pm

First of all re: erections...that SUCKS! Definitely check with your surgeon on that one! I am VP of our ostomy support group here in Fort Worth, TX and have only heard of that issue in regards to radiation treatment. GOOD LUCK!!

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:04 pm
AHS1977 wrote:

What have been your experiences with wearing an ostomy bag horizontally rather than vertically? Also, I recently had surgery to remove my rectum. I am experincing urination issues and sexual issiues (I can't get an erection). Any thoughts on these subjects would be helpful.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:08 pm

Don't know why you would want to wear it horizontal to begin with?. I am also thinking of getting my rectum removed. But the erection problem You are having is giving me second thoughts. Did they tell you it's a possibility that it could happen?

Dan

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:29 pm
Lt. Dan wrote:

Don't know why you would want to wear it horizontal to begin with?. I am also thinking of getting my rectum removed. But the erection problem You are having is giving me second thoughts. Did they tell you it's a possibility that it could happen?

Dan

Well, for me it helped eliminate poking as well as rubbing against more sensitive skin.

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:38 am

I wanted to respond to this post as I was told wearing the bag sideways could cause erosion of the wafer to occur more quickly.  Is this true?  In addition, another question is, where does the output reside?  Does it sort of level out or does it make the pouch stick out in one area?  Just my questions.... Thanks! LH

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:09 am

Hi LH,

I haven't notice any difference in the erosion of the wafer. Depending on how far horizontal you wear the pouch matters on where your output resides. Sometimes if the output isn't as firm it does tend to stay to one side making the other side off balance a bit but not enough to make a difference if your wearing pants as opposed to a skirt or dress where you would have less to keep it flat and secure.

Hope this helps.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.