Inversion of Stoma

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Oldfogie

I have had a permanent ileostomy for 45 years with no problems at all until recently. Over the past 6 months, the opening has gradually moved from dead center of a perfectly formed stoma to being at the top of the stoma and almost to the edge of the abdomen. What will happen if it goes below the abdomen? Should I look into having a revision?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Oldfogie.

Thank you for posting about this movement of the hole in the stoma, which you describe as a 'problem'.

I was wondering if it causes you any other problems apart from worrying about it.

My stoma regularly moves about, changes shape, inverts and expands but luckily, these changes have not posed any significant problems with regard to its functionality. My biggest problem was when the muscles for peristalsis tighened so tight it blocked the hole altogether and nothing passed through. I fixed this by using a dilator and training the muscles to relax and let stuff through. With that problem solved, I saw no reason to opt for further surgery.

I know from first-hand experience that these things can be very worrying but my take on it is that if the stoma is still functioning and not causing excessive problems, then I would choose to leave things alone rather than opt for surgery.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

BillĀ 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Immarsh

Hi, I'm Marsha, and I've had my ileostomy/stoma for more than 50 years. It started out round and symmetrical, but time, and two pregnancies, plus weight gain and losses, have caused it to shrink in diameter and has pulled back into my belly considerably. I saw a gastro surgeon a number of years ago, and he said that as long as it works... don't consider surgery. That's pretty much what Bill wrote... and that's the consensus I've gotten from other doctors as well. These days, I do have more leaks than I used to have, but still plan to avoid surgery as long as possible. I'm 69.

Oldfogie

Thanks to Bill and Marsha. That relieves my mind a lot. I was just worried about what would happen if it pulled below the abdomen. If I had really thought about it, I would have known it would be okay. Just different. I am a nurse and have worked in nursing homes, home health, and hospice, and I was always given the ostomates to care for. I have seen some really weird-looking stomas. I guess since it was my stoma, I lost objectivity.