Hair loss after ileostomy: Any advice?

Replies
Views
freedancer

Have any of you folks had any trouble with losing large amounts of hair after you had your ileostomies? My hair is falling out by the handfuls. The doc did check my thyroid levels and found my T4 to be 40. She raised up my medication and added a new med for the T3. She thinks it may be a problem with absorbing the drugs. Did any of you have this issue? How did you work with this issue? This is very distressing to me because I have always had very healthy hair and no issues such as this. Any suggestions on how to deal with this would be helpful. Thank you.

aVian

I had an emergency subtotal colectomy in end of February...several months later my hair started falling out and my nail bed showed a line as if the growth plates stopped. Well, it's been six months and my hair is all growing back. I probably lost like 40% of it. All is good now.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,432 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

LadyHope

I heard that major stress, surgery, or trauma could promote temporary hair loss. That being said, once things settle, hair growth and thickness should return. During these stressful periods, I did my best to reduce stress through exercise, a balanced diet, and daily vitamins. Prior to my colo-rectal surgery, I bought a lovely wig just in case. I still wear it from time to time. It is great.

dadnabbit

Freedancer, when I first had my surgery resulting in an ileostomy, I suffered a lot of hair loss. At first, I chalked it up to the Remicade treatments as the doctor suggested. I have since learned that the lack of nutrient absorption is the more likely culprit. The large colon is the way our digestive system slows things down in order for the small intestine to do its job of absorption of nutrients. When that is removed, the transit time is much quicker, and there is less time for the nutrients to stay and get absorbed. You will also find that coated meds and time-released meds are no longer effective and often pass through completely unabsorbed. If you take a time-released med, you should have your doctor change the script. Your body will adjust to the new absorption rate, but supplementing with a vitamin is not a bad idea. I have found I no longer absorb potassium and have required a script for this as supplements over the counter are not the same thing. Good luck.

Peace

sherileo

I had my subtotal colectomy in June 2017. I noticed in August that my hair was falling out. Between June 5 and July 10, I had gone from 125lbs to 80lbs. I lost a lot of weight and was barely eating. Throughout August and September (while still hospitalized), I noticed my hair falling out. I asked my doctors about it, but no one seemed concerned at all. One told me, "This is normal due to stress and malnutrition." So once I was finally discharged and home, it started coming out in HUGE chunks in the shower. I had to cut off what was left of it. What the doctors failed to do was offer any advice on what can help with regrowth. Biotin and iron supplements were suggested, and my hairdresser also suggested collagen supplements. I am taking all of them, and I've also started using "Nioxin" shampoo, which is normally recommended to chemo patients who lose their hair, to help with regrowth and to slow down the hair loss. I'm finding it's helping, slowly.

I hope this has helped because I honestly wish I knew about all of this back in July, as opposed to crying in the shower as chunks of my hair continue to fall out. I've included pictures of my before and after hair loss to give you an idea of what I'm going through.

;

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
LadyHope

Hang in there.... It is awful when your hair falls out. I am so sorry. Just a suggestion.... There are very nice wigs that look just like real hair.... Some are made with real hair. Maybe you could buy one until your hair grows back again. Since my surgery, my hair has been very temperamental.... It grows in and sheds out. Taking the vitamins is very good and eating a high protein diet as well. Also, what about a trendy short cut...??? I complimented someone the other day with this very edgy hairstyle and she said thank you, I lost my hair from chemo and now it is growing back. Good luck to you.