Colonoscopy with an Ostomy/Stoma: Need advice on bag capacity and preparation

Replies
Views
Newstom

I am a little leery about the upcoming procedure with a stoma. With the preparation, will the bag be able to hold output? Does anyone have experience with this?

I can't believe I never had a stoma nurse or anyone I can ask these questions to, and my doctors that I did say everything is the same. Trust me, having a stoma is not the "same" as my last colonoscopy, and at that time I mentioned having elective surgery. He had mentioned a couple of years prior, since my bouts of diverticulitis were coming more frequent. He said they don't do that anymore, that it gets stronger with each episode. 3 months later, my intestines burst. So much for that! Anybody have any info?

Bill

Hello Newstom.

Thank you for asking about this issue as I too am contemplating whether to have a colonoscopy and would like to hear about people's experiences of the procedure.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,372 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

veejay

Since my surgery 18 years ago, I have had colonoscopies. It has been my experience that the process is the same....just goes in the front door instead of the back door.

Of course you still have to do the "prep".

Cleaning out your insides by drinking the appropriate "cleansing" liquid. Your doctor will have all this information. For the colonoscopy to be successful, your insides have to be as "clear" as possible.

Surely you've had a post-op colonoscopy, Bill?

V.J.

Bill

Hello veejay.

Thanks for your informative post and NO! I didn't have any follow-up colonoscopy. It's been some time (years) since the operation and I am beginning to feel that they should be checking to see if the polyps are changing in any way. I haven't persued it yet because I want to try to get hold of a dilator to loosen the restrictive muscles  so that they don't do any damage in the process.

Best wishes

Bill 

xnine

I have had a couple of times. In the waiting area/prep area, they asked me to remove everything and get in the gown. You can now leave your underwear on. I had some drainable bags that I used at that time, normally I use a closed pouch. For me, it all went pretty smoothly. It does not take long at all.

Just wanted to also add they will not let you drive.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
veejay

Very surprised to read you haven't had a colonoscopy since your surgery, Bill. Very strange?

Don't know how it works in your neck of the woods but here in Oz, the doctors keep your records on file and let you know when you are due. (As I am soon). I do have private health insurance but I don't think that makes a lot of difference. Private hospitals are expensive though.

It is referred to as a "day procedure" and one has to fast and drink the "cleansing" liquid (available at the chemist) mixed with water. I irrigate as well so that helps clean me out. You are there most of the day and are not allowed to drive afterwards. There has never been a question or comment about potential damage.

It may be pertinent for you to investigate a colonoscopy.

On another matter.

I am interested to know why people who join this site don't get "involved" more? Some even ask for advice and then don't even read their responses or don't reply – common courtesy – or they just disappear? Is it nerves or are they put off by something?

As someone who posts regularly, what are your thoughts on this, Bill?

V.J.

P.S. Please keep writing. I do enjoy your contributions.

Bill

Hello veejay.

Thanks for your informative post - I certainly intend to look into having a colonoscopy as soon as I can be sure that the instrument can be pushed in  without causing any damage.

As for people who don't get actively involved on this site, there have been posts on this subject before and we can only guess at what the possible answers are because if they don't reply and tell us there is no way of knowing. However, that shouldn't stop us from speculating so here goes:

From my perspective regarding my own posts (which are mostly rhyming verses). I think many people simply read them and do not consider they need to reply. Of course I am very grateful to the folks who do comment but I also understand that there is really no need to reply to this type of post. I often think that  it would be useful to have one of those tick-boxes that indicate if people like the post or not, so that they don't have to find words to express any more than that. Further to that, most of my initial posts are on my blog and there is a system of counting how many people have had a look at each one. This gives some idea of the percentage of people who make comments , compared to the number of people who passively read the posts (usually very few).  

As for people who post and then don't follow through, there could be a number of reasons for this. I do not think we can assume that they don't read the replies because we have no way of knowing this one way or another. If they don't reply to the responses, it may be that they have got the information they need and simply go away satisfied/ or they did not find satisfaction and gave up on the post and/or the site for that reason.  There have been a few people who have replied in this vein in the past so we may assume that there might be others with similar feelings.

Alternatively, there are some people who post on here simply to vent the feelings or thoughts they have at the time and once they have experienced the cathartic effect of venting, they really have no further need to stay involved.

My overview of this subject is that a site like this is probably a reflective microcosm of society as a whole inasmuch as most people are on the sidelines, looking in as passive observers/spectators, rather than being really active participants. Every now and then they might contribute a word from the touchline but that is usually the extent of their overt activity.

You mention 'common' courtesy, which is a bit of a misnomer in the modern age. It seems to me that it is much more 'common' for people to have little or no courtesy at all nowadays. The idea of 'common-courtesy' is of a bygone age and represents a concept where it was hoped that people would have consideration for others and act accordingly. Unfortunately, there is a growing tendency for people to be self-centred and selfish rather than considerate so being courteous to others does not enter their consciousness.  

Fortunately, there are still many folks who do still value a less self-centred approach to living their lives and we can only hope that this sets a good example to those of a different persuasion.

There are many other things that could be said about our society and its values that are tangential to this discussion but are really central to the whole study of sociology in a modern society. This does not seem the place for such an in-depth discussion on the subject so I'll stop here.

Best wishes

Bill