Tips for Ostomate Butt Care: Protecting Skin from Mucous

Replies
Views
iMacG5

For we ostomates who still have a rectum we need to care for its activity. Since it doesn’t know it’s not being used it continues to attempt to operate as designed. It produces mucous and we need to protect the skin that becomes contacted by that mucous. I thought zinc oxide was terrific but, for various reasons, I started using vitamin A & D ointment for diaper rash and skin protection. For those of us, especially guys, who walk a lot and sweat the situation could be exacerbated. Having to deal with a rash and butt mucous in addition to the other crap could be more than we can handle. Any thoughts?
Mike

Angelicamarie

Mike, prior to my surgery, I was going to the bathroom like 15 to 20 times a day, and naturally, I was chafed and sore. My pharmacist recommended Rectal Care. The product did two things: it took care of the soreness and it helped with the skin. The good part about purchasing Rectal Care is that you didn't need a prescription. I still have a rectum that sometimes passes mucus. I would recommend Rectal Care. I'm sure others will chime in later with what worked for them. Good luck!! Angelicamarie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,444 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Thanks so much, Angel.

Mike

Bill

Hello Mike. 

I have exessive rectal mucus which used to cause me all sorts of problems but nowadays I wear incontinence pads and a rolled up piece of toilet tissue because the pads don't absorb the mucus immediately and the tissue does - so there is a slow transferance of the mucus to the pad, rather than it sliding off and down my legs!!

As you say, it's just another problem we have to manage if we are to have a life and stay sane.

Best wishes

Bill

dadnabbit

Mike, one of the most persistent issues I have encountered has been skin breakdown from the mucous. I found that Anasept, by Anacapa Technologies, works wonders on cleaning and protecting the skin. It is an antibacterial, antimicrobial topical gel or spray. I use it after bathing, applying it and allowing it to dry, mere moments. The spray can be used regularly as needed as a cleaner. This stuff kills MRSA and C. diff as well as 99% of all bacteria. I also use the gel, rubbing it in around the stoma, allowing it to sit briefly before wiping the skin dry and before applying a barrier wipe and appliance. It has worked especially well when skin irritation erupts. I have found it in lots of places, but one of the least expensive is Jet.com, where a 3oz tube or spray bottle runs $29. Many places it runs as much as $49. Hope this helps.

Peace

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
iMacG5

Thanks Dad,.  I'm sure lots of folks never heard of this stuff.  Thanks, also, for providing your methods of use.

Sincerely,

Mike

dadnabbit

Mike, I turned my PCP, surgeon, and pharmacist on to this item, and it has become a regular part of their practices. It does amaze me that so few hospitals and medical urgent care offices have this in their regular repertoire as it is in these environments that we usually encounter the worst bacteria and become infected. I was amazed, too, that it is effective against CDIFF and MRSA, helping to curb the spread of these two highly contagious bugs. Hope it works for you.

Peace

iMacG5

Hey Bill, I think I handle suff similar to the way you do except I use sterile cotton balls instead of TP.

Dadnabbit, you did lots of folks a big favor with your information.

Gratitude to both you guys,

Mike

dadnabbit

Mike and Bill, have you tried 4x4 gauze pads instead of TP and cotton balls? Absorbent and better at holding together, less messy.

Peace

iMacG5

Hey Dad, I think I tried everything except the Wall Street Journal.  I unroll the large (70 count) cotton balls then fold each into about an inch a one-half piece.  One of these seems to fit nicely and do all the absorbing necessary.  At night I use those 2 X 2 extra soft cotton squares.  I fold one in half and that does the job.

Respectfully,

Mike

Bill

Hello Dad & Mike. I've tried a few things like dry wipes, which did not absorb and toilet tissue, which fell apart. My problem is that I very rarely go shopping and do not see things like gauze and cotton balls so I just use what is to hand and that means the tissues for blowing your nose. They have been satisfactory for a number of years but I will definitely bear in mind these other suggestions and if I come across them in my travels I will give them a go so thank you for the input.
best wishes

Bill 

Newbie Dana

When I was originally having all my problems (long before the ostomy), I tried all sorts of things. A few things that helped most with rectal irritation:

1) My husband installed a bidet on our toilet. The soothing spray is much less irritating than dry, rough toilet paper.

2) We switched toilet paper to the super-soft kind (the one with the bears on the front is really good - can't recall the brand now). Eventually, we switched to the Sam's brand (Member's Mark) because it is soft AND strong). NO CHEAP TOILET PAPER!

3) From our baby-raising days - A D Ointment and Boudreau's Butt Paste (yes, it's a real product - regional around Louisiana where we were living at the time). Both excellent products for after a rash has already developed. Find both in the baby section if you can't find in the pharmacy area. Depends on where the store puts it.

4) And here's the real kicker - We switched to using flushable moist wipes for the behind instead of toilet paper. NO friction, NO irritation. In fact, I continue to use moist wipes to clean my ostomy area when changing pouches. MUCH less irritating than dry wipes or baby wipes which contain alcohol or toilet paper.

5) For those days when mucous production is heavy, feminine sanitary pads. Use the ultra thin, overnights or super-long, with wings to hold them in place in conjunction with relatively tight underwear in a bikini-style or low-rise brief style that rides BELOW the stoma, not over it. Guys, I know you might reject this out of hand, but think about it. Nobody can tell if you are wearing it; it is designed to absorb thick mucousy output, not just thin liquid; and it comes in a variety of sizes and absorbencies. Just make sure you wear it a bit farther to the rear than a woman would wear it for a period (same advice for women), as your rectum is located farther to the rear than a woman's vagina (sorry about the graphic language, but it is important to wear it correctly to solve the problem).

Good luck!

iMacG5

Hey Dana.  Guys, Gals, we all need advice at times and you did a great job explaining.

Thanks so much,

Mike