Advertisement
ConvaTec - Bathing
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Me+ Join Today

So Frustrated!!!

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
17,233 Members
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:09 pm

Well, this last weekend I had my first official blockage.  I tried some strawberries and ended up in severe pain for two days.  I had a little discharge from the stoma but not much.  I had to fly to Salt Lake City VA for a checkup on my throat surgery and had to suffer the pain until Monday at 0530 when it finally cleared and then all hell broke lose!! I had googled blockages and went down the list doing each fix.  When I finally soaked in the hot bath,  the blockage worked itself out and the pain stopped.  I stayed in the bathroom for 10 minutes leaning over the commode while everything that was backed up cleared.  By that time, I had been up for two days.  By the time I returned home,  I was barely functioning.   I am angry because it seems that I can't eat anything!!  It seems as it all has to be white, no fruit, no vegtables, no nothing!!  I read so much about other ileostomy owners that claim they have no problems and it makes me mad that everything goes on my no go list!!!  My question is why me?? Food just seems tasteless and unappetizing to me more each day.  More and more as I try to eat and more things go on my no go list the more I don't enjoy eating any more.  The only thing that was good about this is that I learned to deal with it so I didn't have to go to the hospital.   I have reached out to dietitians for help but no one can help me figure out what to eat.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:49 am

Hello freedancer.

Sorry to hear that there are so many things you don't seem to be able to eat without an adverse reaction. You seem to be approaching the problem of blockages in a sensible way by testing each of the foods individually before deciding which ones go on the no-no list. However,what I found was that almost all of what I could not eat for the first year or so, I gradually experimented with after a couple of years and voila! I found that I could eat more or less anything I wanted as long as it was masticated thoroughly. At first I put it in the liquidiser and reduced it to to a sludge because I wanted to see whether it was the food that caused the problems or the texture. It turned out to be the texture so I gradually liquidised it less and less whilst I chewed it more and more. The end result is that I can now eat everything I like with confidence that I will not have problems.

I hope this helps. 

Best wishes

Bill

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:36 am

Aww. I, like many here understand where your coming from. It is frustrating and it won't last forever. I like Bill's reply. Maybe a processor or a juicer would be a good idea. You don't have to mix all your food in it, especially not all different types at once. Maybe just something "new" that you want to test. Kind of what some of us use to do when we wanted to give our young children before so much comercially made baby food in a jar became so popular. If it is small enough to swallow without much chewing it shouldn't cause a blockage.

Best wishes

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:59 am

Hi FreeDancer, In the early days I also experienced some issues with my ileostomy.  I was instructed by a wound care nurse to drink lots of water when I ate which was contrary to what I usually did.  I know, I know....I should drink liquids while eating but I never needed to... I would drink all my beverage at the end of a meal.  Anyway, I also chew my food alot today.  These two additions to my routine has helped me out.  Give it a try, it may help you as well.  Also, I do not eat anything with little seeds such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or grapes.  If these fruits are offered, I may eat one (1), no more.  They do not agree with me, and I never liked the crunchy seeds.  I also take the seeds out of cucumbers and tomatoes and I love summer tomatoes and cucumbers.  Good luck and please keep us posted.  LadyHope

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.