Gas

Replies
Views
Nora

I have an ileostomy and there are some days I walk around wearing a balloon. As soon as I release the air, it gets filled again. What is good to stop all of the gas? I have tried several products, but they only work for a couple of hours. Can somebody please help me? Thanks.

iMacG5

Hi Nora.  It's strange you didn't get replies and I'm not sure I can be of much help.  Gas is part of our method of living.  It's a function of digestion and can be controlled to some extent by the foods we ingest. And, we're different from each other.  Some folks can eat lots of things others have trouble with.  A bunch of broccoli could put me in orbit.  Perhaps Google might serve you better than this forum for your gas concerns.

Good luck,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hey Nora, I just checked and found lots of stuff about diet and gas right here in this part of the forum.  Just scroll down in the "Ostomy related" and the "Food advice" sections and you'll find a lot to work with.

Respectfully,

Mike

Newbie Dana

I have a colostomy rather than an ileostomy, and I don't know if that will make a difference. I found a really good probiotic helps me immensely with gas. Acidophilus/Bifidum works best for me. It's not instant, but over the course of about a month, I went from gassy all the time to almost none at all, with no change in diet. Also, are the pouches you use vented? (I'm not even sure if they offer vented ileostomy pouches! I know they do for colostomy pouches.)

NHMike

I've found that the bag fills up with gas from time to time, though not all that often. My general remedy is to empty the bag frequently.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister