Rectal Discharge

Replies
Views
40years&counting

Hello everyone.

I just found this site last night and joined. I'm 59 and had my ileostomy with total rectal removal on my 18th birthday, 40 years ago! I've had 4 C-sections during these years...married 33 years, divorced, and dating for the past 6 years! Life has been good!

My only issue recently, probably the last year, has been bleeding and a discharge from my rectum area! What the heck! I thought it was closed! My concern...is this normal? Has anyone on here had similar issues?

This is really weird talking about this...never been on a site like this where I could! I've had my GYN investigate the area...only to find a small fistula??? Not sure that is what it is!

Any experience you guys may have had or advice would be appreciated! I am living in Austin, Texas now from Ohio and have never had to see a doctor in 40 years! Everything has been great! Now I'm concerned! HELP!!!

LadyHope

Hi 40 years, I just read your post. Welcome to MAO! So glad that you found us. I have been on this site since 2013.... just prior to my surgery from UC. If I were you, I would continue to consult with my doctor about the rectal bleeding. If you do not have a rectum, why are you bleeding from that area? Are you in any discomfort? A fistula is an abnormal or surgically made passage between a hollow or tubular organ and the body surface, or between two hollow or tubular organs...wiki/internet. I have heard of others developing fistulas because of a variety of medical reasons. Check it out, get some tests and maybe an MRI or Scan. It wouldn't hurt and you would find out the answer to your medical question. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. LH

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Newbie Dana

It sounds like you have an infection or inflammation on the inside, which had nowhere to go, so it formed a passage to the outside, where it is now leaking. So much for technical language. Ha! You should probably continue to follow up with your doctor for treatment and DON'T IGNORE THIS! Several people here (myself included) have had infections in the area, and the consequences can be severe if left unchecked. Have you heard the word peritonitis?

The good thing is, today's antibiotics are amazing! Your doctor can take care of your infection, and you can literally put it behind you. (Sorry for the pun; I'm absolutely incorrigible!) The worst thing to do is let it go and assume it's not that bad and your body will take care of it. Some infections can overwhelm the body, and your body could use a bit of assistance.

Good luck, go get it taken care of, and then don't worry about it. Take care, and let us know how it goes.

iMacG5

Hi 40. I think LH and Dana offered great advice.  Question.  If your GYN identified a small fistula, what were you advised to do with it?  The good news is, presumably, Dr. GYN didn't think you should be concerned.  The not so good news is that conduit doesn't belong.  Maybe a GI doctor would offer better advice.

Respectfully,

Mike