Hernia

In this discussion
Replies
Views
becrhomat

Yesterday I finally saw a surgeon about my hernia. It's quite large and it's been about a year I've been trying everything suggested by my ET nurse....trying different products...eakins and barriers...skin protector...changed the position of flange on my skin. Nothing has been successful. I leak all the time because the flange just won't stick. My skin gets so red and irritated and it's so big and heavy. I cramp and sometimes can't bend over. Well, finally my ET nurse and doctor referred me to a surgeon. I waited months to see him. I have a vocal disorder and can't talk so my dad came in with me. He's gone to support group with me so knows a bit about ostomies and we're close so I feel comfortable with him. Well, the surgeon asked him to wait in the hall while he examined me and my dad switched with my mom (he said he thought we would just be talking about appointments and such and my mother would be better). My mom won't even discuss my colostomy. She won't look at any of my products...nothing. So, the surgeon asked questions...I'd whisper answers to my mom and motion for her to tell him and she didn't. Because I can whisper a bit I then tried to whisper to the surgeon directly but it wasn't loud enough. It ended up him saying he'd arrange for me to see the ET nurse because I need to try more. Sigh. I'm so frustrated. Maybe I'm overreacting? I have been emotional/depressed because of my voice, hernia and have damaged my knee. Right now I just feel mad and that yesterday was a waste.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ladyjane

I have 2 hernias and a prolapse. Do you have a prolapse as well? I have a hard time as well. I have started using the Eakin Ring before I put my bag on and that helped a bit. I also lay down and massage the prolapse gently and wait for it to go back in a bit. I cannot change it by myself because of other medical issues. Are you using barrier wipes/stoma powder at all?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate