Seeking Advice on Colostomy Surgery

Replies
Views
EAM

Hi, I am going in for surgery to treat rectal cancer on Dec 27th and have been told by my surgeon that a permanent colostomy is the likely outcome. I have been trying to gather as much information as possible on ostomies and all things colostomy. I see the Ostomy nurse this Tuesday to be marked for the ostomy location and I am sure she will have good information for me, but I want information from this community. Maybe stuff nobody told you, or surprises good and bad about having a colostomy. Anything you can tell me would help, I am pretty nervous about the whole thing.

Mrs.A

Hi EAM,

There is tons of information here already posted waiting for you to just find it and read.

My colostomy was mentioned by my surgeon early on but as the chemo and radiation progressed I didn't think much about it. I have read that if at all possible have yours aligned just under your belt line as it is easier to "hide" and less rubbing.

I hope you come back and let us know how things are going as your surgery approaches. It's normal to be nervous and recovery is different for everyone. Remember to keep in mind that this is the choice that will free you from the worry of finding a bathroom in time when needed.

Welcome to MAO.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,433 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Rosiesmom

The best I can offer is to go into this with a positive attitude and as much moral support as you can. Rosie (my stomach) and I have been together for over 3 years. She was part of saving my life, therefore I am grateful for her. Yes, there will be an adjustment period, but it will soon become your new normal. My stoma is located approximately 4 inches below my waist on the right. I use Convatec products, base, and Velcro seal pouches work great for me. My surgery was performed laparoscopically and robotically. Recovery was easy, perhaps you can speak to your surgeon about this. Honestly, the hardest part for me was the stitches from having the rectum closed. I bought a gel pillow from Costco, it was a godsend. I still use it for long car rides and flights to Europe. Yes, I still travel extensively, just plan meal times and content ahead to make travel easier. I wish the very best for you. It is okay and normal to be afraid, just don't let it rule you. You are about to join an exclusive family. We have normal lives, just a little different but no worse than someone with a prosthetic limb or any other device to aid daily living. LIVING being the operative word. Keep the faith and if I can help, just let me know.

andyd

Take it easy for awhile after your surgery. Don't lift things that cause any strain. The last thing you want to do is create more strain on your abdomen. Let yourself heal....and that takes time. Be smart and let other people lift things for you. Talk to your doctor when exercise is appropriate and find a gym or therapist that helps people with ostomies gain abdominal strength.

Take advantage of free samples from the different ostomy companies. Just because one product doesn't work now, doesn't mean you will have issues with it later.

Be positive. Be positive. And lastly...stay positive!

Good luck and Merry Christmas

Andy

Mario961

Hey Eam, ten years ago I was diagnosed with rectal cancer. On 7/7/07, I had my first surgery to remove my cancerous tumor. The reason I say "first" is because they tried to save the rectum and it busted. I'm alive, yes, but I wish they would have just given me the colostomy from the beginning. So you'll be fine. You'll have a lot of challenges, but remember, when you get the hang of it, there's no stopping you but YOU...

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Hermit

Walk as soon after surgery as they will let you. Had ileostomy. Reconnection failed. Colostomy is so much better!

EAM

Thanks everyone for your advice and kind words. I really appreciate the support!

Got the ostomy sites marked today - one on the left if they do a colostomy, one on the right if they do an ileostomy.

I guess you could say I am a "Marked Man".