Recurring Kidney Stones

Replies
Views
ptilley01

Is anyone dealing with recurring kidney stones with an ileostomy? If so, how do you prevent them? I'm getting kidney stones every 3 to 4 months.

ron in mich

I have been getting stones as long as I have had my ileo, and that's 32 years. My doctor recommends lemon water of at least a liter of it a day for me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ptilley01

Thanks, Ron. Quick follow-up. How much lemon juice do you put in the water, and how much water do you drink a day?

ron in mich

I put roughly about half of a lemon squeezed per glass and about a liter of water a day. I go more by my taste for it than a certain amount, and summer time I drink more fluids not just water.

Xerxes

The most common cause is insufficient hydration. If you don't drink enough, you'll be prone to stones, especially with an ileostomy. However, you can't rule out diet and genetics. For example, a high intake of dairy products coupled with insufficient drinking can lead to calcium stones. Also, some people are predetermined (genetics) to form stones, specifically uric acid stones. I am sure you had your stones analyzed. This will help to guide your treatment and avoid a recurrence.

X_

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister