Lower Bowel Cleansing

In this discussion
Replies
Views
waype

My wife recently had a colostomy and is having mucous drainage from lower bowel. Is there a way to clean the lower bowel such as enemas or such?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello waype. 

A good question, which comes up from time to time. You can find out about past comments in this regard if you look in the 'contents --collections --ostomy related complications - under rectal dsicharge'.   There are a couple of discussions on the subject fairly early in the list so you should not have to search very far.

I have put me own view forward which basically explains how I've made gadgets to irrigate the anus in much the same way that I IRRIGATE THE STOMA.

But others have used suppositories to good effect and I'm a firm believer in trying things to find what suits you best. 

Having a word with your stoma nurse might be a good place to start, rather than confronting a doctor who might not have the same practical knowlege and experience.  I was taught to anlly irigate by the incontinence nurses long before I had my stoma so it was a natural progression when I had problems with anal mucus.

I've never 'cured' mine but have learned to manage it and live with it satisfactorily and I hope you can do the same.   It does get better after time (long in my case) and there is always the option of having the anus removed if it becomes unbearable.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate